Chocolate & Tan Smooth Mini Breeders

Hi Folks,

I live in Brooklyn, NY, and I'm having a hard time finding a responsible breeder who breeds smooth chocolate & tan minis.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Ilana

crystalclear1027

Look at Wennie Hill Kennels website, that's where we got Lily. They are very reputable, they have chocolates, take a look, or even talk to a girl name Michele.

amparra

Wennie Hills is NOT reputable. See my previous post detailing why

http://dachshund-talk.com/forum/f55/adopting-2054-2.html

1. its a completely commercial operation that offers at least SEVEN different breeds. No reputable breeder would EVER do this.

Breeding multiple breeds is a HUGE red flag for any breeder. Heck, even the BYBs (which I still would not get a dog from) usually stick to just one breed.

2. There is no reference to any clearances done on any of the parents. Responsible breeders always health test for genetic and hereditary conditions that can be passed on the the offspring. By clearances I do not mean "vet checks" or "clean bill of health" on the parents, or puppies for that matter. I am referring to OFA certified patellas and hips, CERF results for eyes, etc

Dachshunds are a relatively hardy little breed but they are susceptible to some serious diseases. Best to stack the odds in my favor by doing business with a breeder that knows the genes behind their lines.

3. No reference to any titles on any dog, no reference to participation in any breed club, and no reference to participation in any performance events. BYBs don't bother with this stuff and puppy mills certainly don't

4. CKC registered dogs. Unless they are talking about the Canadian Kennel Club (which I doubt since they are in North Carolina) the CONTINENTAL Kennel Club is a bogus registry used by puppy mills and BYBs. Basically anyone can go on there and register a dog.

While AKC is considered the reputable registry in the U.S., keep in mind that its just a registry. Just because a dog is AKC registered does not mean that the dog came from a reputable breeder. Many BYB dogs and puppy mills are AKC registered because the parents are AKC registered, thats all the AKC keeps track of.

5. Multiple litters on the ground. Lots of dogs that they couldn't sell from months ago being advertised as "available for adoption."

Thats a little offensive to the folks that are into rescue. In fact rescue dogs come from these exact situations (BYBs and Puppy Mills), they are the reasons that shelters are overcrowded and dogs get euthanized. A reputable breeder is responsible for their pups for life. They will step in and take the dog back if the owner is unable to care for it. This is typically a clause in their contracts. A BYB/puppy mill on the other hand, will dump the puppies at shelters. They don't keep track of their dogs and when their buyers rehome the dog or drop it off at the shelter because they are too busy/allergic or whatever excuse they come up with, a byb/puppy mill will not go back and get that dog.

So although a rescue and a puppy mill dog might have the same origins, the key difference is that when you adopt a rescue dog you did not support unethical and disreputable breeding practices, you did not enable a puppy mill to continue breeding the same dogs over and over and over again in unsanitary conditions, and you did not add to the pet overpopulation problem.

amparra

Your best place to start looking from a doxie from a reputable breeder is to contact your local dachshunds clubs.

There is one in long island:
Dachshund Association of Long Island -

and a few others upstate:

Dachshund Club of Greater Buffalo - Home

Dachshund Club OF Greater Syracuse

You can also check the Dachshund Club of America (the National Dachshund Club) for other dachshund clubs depending on how far you are willing to travel.

They also have a breeder directory

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18JPE2kYJkTiBIC3k_hJ7iWxOZEk_mOK2b9ezkawewKs/edit

Talk to the breeders you are interested in. They may not have a litter on the ground but may refer you to another breeder who does. Ask them questions about their breeding programs. Make sure they are active in the breed and getting clearances on their dogs. You can verify these on the OFA website.

crystalclear1027

Thank you for your opinion!!! She is one of the best pups we ever had, we couldn't have asked for a better dog and I know she has a devoted family, we picked her!!!

amparra

Its an opinion based on FACTS. The OP asked for a reputable breeder. Wennie Hills is absolutely not reputable and I have given valid reasons why it isn't. Just because you are happy with your dog does not make it reputable.

Impossible to find a responsible breeder!

I can't seem to find a reputable breeder, not just of chocolate & tans, but reds, too! Even after months and months of research. No one wants to answer all my questions, and when they do, they feed crap food like Royal Canin or Pro Plan.

Isn't there anyone in the entire northeast who doesn't suck?!

lucerogina

My vet told me royal canin dachshund 28 was a great food. If it's not healthy can you tell me one that is? I want to make sure I am feeding my babe the best of the best. :) I rescued him about a month ago.
Thanks for any help you can give!!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

lucerogina

Thanks for the help!! The royal canin they review is the boxer. I have seen several people mention acana so I am going to check it out.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

So frustrated! Contacted another highly recommended (by several folks) local show breeder this morning, and she also feeds Pro Plan.

I remember when I was researching which breed to get and I was deciding between dachshunds and french bulldogs. There were many FB breeders who fed quality food. Why not dachshunds?!

GJBain

Royal Canin Dachshund 28 is not that bad of a food. Rated 3.5 out of 5.0 on dog food advisor. There are a lot worse. My breeder who is a top breeder from Canada feeds Royal Canin when they are pups and then feeds home cooked and trust me she knows what she is doing.

When there is a long list of 5-star foods, it seems pretty bad. Most of the Royal Canin varieties get a 2.5, and even the 3.5 variety's first 3 ingredients are "chicken meal, brown rice, rice" -- 1 meat meal & 2 carbs, including a refined carb. Close behind it is "wheat gluten meal" -- a filler. It's not a meaty food, it's a grain-y food. DFA calls it a "average" food, which doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

With more than 15 better options (Acana, Anamaet, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Castor & Pollux, Earthborn, Evanger's, EVO, Honest Kitchen, Innova, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Orijen, Solid Gold, Wellness, Wysong), including several Canadian brands, I can only come up with two reasons to feed the lower-quality food: (a) don't want to spend the money, and (b) not aware of the better options -- either choice seems like a red flag.

I was seeking out breeders in Canada because I thought they'd make better choices than here in America, but I haven't found it to be the case.

GJBain

When there is a long list of 5-star foods, it seems pretty bad. Most of the Royal Canin varieties get a 2.5, and even the 3.5 variety's first 3 ingredients are "chicken meal, brown rice, rice" -- 1 meat meal & 2 carbs, including a refined carb. Close behind it is "wheat gluten meal" -- a filler. It's not a meaty food, it's a grain-y food. DFA calls it a "average" food, which doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

With more than 15 better options (Acana, Anamaet, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Castor & Pollux, Earthborn, Evanger's, EVO, Honest Kitchen, Innova, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Orijen, Solid Gold, Wellness, Wysong), including several Canadian brands, I can only come up with two reasons to feed the lower-quality food: (a) don't want to spend the money, and (b) not aware of the better options -- either choice seems like a red flag.

I was seeking out breeders in Canada because I thought they'd make better choices than here in America, but I haven't found it to be the case.
I don't know her financial situation and none of my business to ask. Who knows maybe she is not aware of better options or maybe just maybe it is her choice being she has multiple champion winning Dachshunds and knows what she is doing and keeps doing what works. Hmmmm

We are currently slowly switching our puppy from the Royal Canin to Blue Buffalo but again that is our choice.

Last edited:
I feel like as a "good breeder" it is their business to know -- I'm not a breeder and I know, because I've done the research. The standard should be higher for a breeder than just for someone who wants a puppy.

I know that breeding dogs is not cheap; it's not something good breeders do to make money -- they do it because they love the dogs. So if you're going to spend the money and time doing it, why cheap out on the food? It seems pretty important.

Furthermore, regarding costs, we're not talking about Great Danes here. These are 10lb. mini Dachshunds who need very little food, even less when it's a high-quality, meat-based food. That makes it even more puzzling to me.

Penny

Why don't you just ask them?
B & E's breeder had to drive 15 miles to the closest place to purchase dog food so their choices may not be that great. Maybe they bought a different food at one time and one of the dogs had issues with it. Maybe after a little chat, they may decide to try a different food.

I would love to ask, but I feel like there's no easy way to bring this up to a breeder without it sounding like "So, why do you feed this crappy food?" I'm sure they'd not appreciate my questioning their judgment. But I will try to think of a way!