Buggy's Babies

Hope Hounds

I have a red hidden dapple doxie, named Buggy, who is about 25 days pregnant. She was bred between March 31st and April 3rd to a black and tan long hair. So I'm guessing her ovulation was about April 2nd. I thought maybe the breeding didn't take but today I saw a bit of mucus and her belly is starting to swell.
I got her from a breeder who was downsizing and she had already been bred when I got her. She has had 1 litter of puppies before to the same stud and had 6 puppies, most of them dapple.
This is my first litter of puppies that I own. I have owned dachshunds for 14 years but I never bred them. I have whelped Schnauzers, Snoodles, Cockers, and Labs for friends and family. I thought it would be fun to also do a pregnancy update. I took at photo on day 21 and I will take another photo on day 28.

Attachments

Nell

Hope every thing goes well for you both. Nothing so good as puppy cuddles, fun times ahead.................

Nikky5000

Any more pictures? How's the pregnancy so far? My dog starr was around that size when she was 25 days and she had 5 puppies in that litter.

Hope Hounds

Day 28

Its day 28 and I do think she is starting to show now. Her belly has a little bit of a bulge to it and it feels sort of like a small water balloon in her belly. Her nipples are standing up now too. I don't know if she has many, maybe 2-4 is my guess.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nikky5000

There might be 3 my Raaven's belly started to grow just like that she only had 3 puppies. Be sure to get a x-ray later in the pregnancy because with small litters they due tend to end in c-sections. Good luck hope there's at least 4 puppies in there.

Nikky5000

The closer to the due date is best. You will get a more accurate count and before going don't feed her make sure she goes to the bathroom. Trust me I had made that mistake plenty of times and because of it we weren't able to see both sides and would miss a puppy or 2.

Hope Hounds

Bugs seems more tired lately. She is drinking a TON of water. The last few days she keeps getting into things like the trash and eating really gross stuff. Anybody know if that is that normal for a pregnant dog? I've only had her a couple weeks so I don't know if she used to do that before. She is such a happy girl. Her nails were really long when I got her and her teeth were dark and dirty. I clipped her nails and have been brushing her teeth and they are almost back to normal. I think she is really grateful. She likes to give me lots and lots of kisses. :)

Hope Hounds

Yesterday was Day 35/ Week 5. I took photos but didn't have time to upload them. Her belly has gotten SO MUCH bigger this last week. I definitely think she has at least 4 puppies. I'm so excited now that she is really showing. I'm worried that she doesn't want to eat her food but she keeps trying to eat garbage and stuff from my compost bin.

Nikky5000

You'll know if there is puppies probably the ending of next week. :) Are you going to do x-rays or ultrasound on her? I am a big advocate for x-rays not so much for ultrasounds. For her eating try giving her boiled eggs or raw up to you, cottage cheese, and wet food. I was go through this with my females.

Last edited:

Hope Hounds

Today Buggy and I got in a car accident!We were supposed to be meeting up with her previous owner so I took her along with me. It was raining hard and we went around a corner, lost control and ended up in a ditch. Don't worry we weren't hurt. The car went in backwards so we hit the seat instead of flying forwards. I drove the car home after the tow truck was able to get it out of the ditch. I'm so worried that I may have accidentally hurt the puppies. Buggy seemed a bit shaken up but not too bad. I grabbed her and held her in place in the passenger seat when I lost control of the car. When we FINALLY got to the house and she got out I saw that she had a long string of mucus coming out of her. Does that mean she lost her mucus plug and she is going to miscarry the puppies? :(

Nikky5000

Sorry that happened. I would take her to the vet for an ultrasound to check on the puppies and see. I wouldn't be worried about the mucus if it wasn't blood or green. It is around the time she should have discharge. Discharge is completely normal I talk about it on my some of my post.

Hope Hounds

Ok phew. Like I said we didn't get hurt at all. I was just worried that the stress might have made her loose the mucus plug. I gave her some eggs with minced garlic for antibiotic, probiotic powder, and a bit of apple cider vinegar for beneficial bacteria. I know stress can cause a person to get sick I figured it wouldn't hurt to treat her for potential stress related issues.

Nikky5000

For now I would just watch her carefully and be extra gentle with her. If you see any green discharge or blood you need to get her to a vet immediately. Stress can extremely hard on a dog especially if the dog is pregnant there are some cases where pregnant dogs have become so stressed that they absorbed the puppies. So just be on the look out for anything out of the ordinary.

Hope Hounds

I think Buggy is OK. She seems totally fine. She is not crazy about getting into the car now and she runs away. Poor girl. I'm really happy to have puppies soon. Buggy is such a sweet sweet girl. She loves to cuddle up on my lap and have me rub her big belly.

Penny

If you aren't in the habit, please consider travelling with a crate strapped down when in the car. I have contact info of family and vet tapped to the kennel so if there's an accident, the dog will be taken care of regardless of the condition of the people in the car. Plus they won't be able to escape and run off, maybe into traffic.

Hope everything is ok.

Hope Hounds

I've been watching videos of puppy whelping today on YouTube. Whenever the puppies cry a lot Buggy comes running over and sits on my lap and looks really concerned because she cant find the puppy. Aww she's going to be such a good momma.