Breeding ethics?

Inkeri

I can't neuter Manu (although if I believe this chart, there's no need to), because then I can't take him to dogshows etc.. But still, he's never going to be a dad. ;)

Dusty Puddles

We have 9 dogs. All but 3 are unwanted/and/or rescues. All 9 are neutered. Every rescue that passes through here must be neutered except in the case of the really young puppies who we will let go early(for bonding) if the adopter agrees to have the animal fixed within 60 days of turning 6 months old.
When we close the doors on this Rescue because there are no longer any Dachshunds needing rescue.........

I'll be happy to reconsider.

PS. There are lots of very good, kind, conscientious, breeders out there and many of them I call my friends.

vizzla

Im not going to neuter my dog but I will never be a breeder either :) I let peopel with knowledge do that :) I liked the pic though. Some people need to think before taking puppies... So many dogs that comes to bad homes or end up at shelters...

vizzla

Yes many breeders are good and do good for the breed. But people withouth that knowledge or doing it just for the money should reconsider.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
There's so much that needs to be learned before breeding dogs... just something simple like not breeding dapple to dapple seems to be a hard concept for breeders. Leave the breeding to the experts.

Steph

There's so much that needs to be learned before breeding dogs... just something simple like not breeding dapple to dapple seems to be a hard concept for breeders. Leave the breeding to the experts.
Exactly! I've been studying dachshund genetics for at least 3 or 4 months now, learning my standards,(Canadian, American and European) learning to tell this colour from that colour and all because someday I would like to get into the show ring. I don't think I would ever have enough nerve to even consider breeding...I'd probably be a paranoid wreck. There's so much that some people never consider when breeding and Deaf Dogs nailed it with the breeding dapple to dapple. I've learned that there are such things as a hidden dapple and a hidden brindle - just that alone scares the you-know-what out of me.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Exactly! I've been studying dachshund genetics for at least 3 or 4 months now, learning my standards,(Canadian, American and European) learning to tell this colour from that colour and all because someday I would like to get into the show ring. I don't think I would ever have enough nerve to even consider breeding...I'd probably be a paranoid wreck. There's so much that some people never consider when breeding and Deaf Dogs nailed it with the breeding dapple to dapple. I've learned that there are such things as a hidden dapple and a hidden brindle - just that alone scares the you-know-what out of me.
At least Dapple is easy, it's dominant, so if one of the parents was dapple, there is a risk that the puppy will be, so in the case of hidden Dapple (usually on a Red or Sable) you just don't risk it! But most people dont care enough to do the research. As much as I LOVE Mouse and Boo, they shouldn't exist!

cmharris21

Something to think about? (Pictures)
I truly agree with this. I haven't gotten around to doing an introduction post, as I'm checking the site out first, but I FIRMLY believe that no body should breed UNLESS you are showing your dogs and are breeding to help better the breed and produce a show quality puppy for yourself. People who are in the "business of breeding" need to be neutered themselves, because people like that should just not exist. We would not have such an overpopulation of pets in the world and we would not have such a need for all the shelters and rescues if people did not breed irresponsibly!

PrettyPenny

If you don't have dogs that are successful at what they were meant to do, with wonderful titled temperaments and have been cleared of all genetic health issues...you have no business breeding.

vizzla

I strongly think that dachshunds should be proved at hunting test (bloodtracking or hunting) as they are made to do this, not only dogshows. Blood tracking is a brilliant way of making the dog use their talent and preserv their special skills.

PrettyPenny

I strongly think that dachshunds should be proved at hunting test (bloodtracking or hunting) as they are made to do this, not only dogshows. Blood tracking is a brilliant way of making the dog use their talent and preserv their special skills.
I agree, but as breeds have been used for different things sometimes you get two different versions of one breed. The "show"version and the "sport" version.

Inkeri

It's like that with finnish dachshunds. There are breeders that breed hunting dogs and others that breed showdogs. Of course, it's not all that black and white, but mainly. The hunting breeders forget about the looks (and sometimes health) they just want dogs that are good at hunting. And the show-breeders forget about the hunting abilities (and sometimes health) and breed dogs that loook good. :D
I think the main thing in breeding to think about is the health, then of course the dogs mind (we want dogs that aren't crazy..) and after that looks and skills.
Breeding is very difficult, because there are no perfect dogs. All dogs have good or even perfect qualities, but they also have faults. :D
I think we as puppy-buyers also have the responsibility to make sure we buy puppies from breeders that have good breeding ethics.

vizzla

But how do you fullfill a showbreed-dachshunds activity need? They should never be couch-dogs, they need to use their brain. Therefor I dont like the term Showdogs or companion dogs. All dachshund need acitivitys that fullfill them and make them think :) Otherwise you will have a dog that will find other things to do that the owner doesnt like, chewing shoes or interiours.

PrettyPenny

It's like that with finnish dachshunds. There are breeders that breed hunting dogs and others that breed showdogs. Of course, it's not all that black and white, but mainly. The hunting breeders forget about the looks (and sometimes health) they just want dogs that are good at hunting. And the show-breeders forget about the hunting abilities (and sometimes health) and breed dogs that loook good. :D
I think the main thing in breeding to think about is the health, then of course the dogs mind (we want dogs that aren't crazy..) and after that looks and skills.
Breeding is very difficult, because there are no perfect dogs. All dogs have good or even perfect qualities, but they also have faults. :D
I think we as puppy-buyers also have the responsibility to make sure we buy puppies from breeders that have good breeding ethics.
Exactly.

But how do you fullfill a showbreed-dachshunds activity need? They should never be couch-dogs, they need to use their brain. Therefor I dont like the term Showdogs or companion dogs. All dachshund need acitivitys that fullfill them and make them think :) Otherwise you will have a dog that will find other things to do that the owner doesnt like, chewing shoes or interiours.
Well of course, but the dachshund I will be getting in September is coming from show lines simply because I don't want a dachshund with so much drive and I like the shorter legs, lol!