Anyone know about this breeder?

Phillips66

After the loss of our Penny, we are considering another dachshund. I found this breeder in Iowa called "New Design Kennel". Does anyone know anything about this breeder?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well... didnt take more than a minute... they are a puppy mill. They breed lots of different breeds, say nothing about health testing of parents and breed mixed breeds. I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
And upon further examination... they wont allow you on the property. They dont use a reputable registry, they'll fly the dog out to you without checking you out, And they expect you to pay foe the puppy sight unseen. Its now a 100 foot pole lol

Phillips66

I was kinda thinking the same thing when they said they don't allow on site.

Any good breeders in the Midwest?

Sent from my iPhone

GJBain

Deafdogs, how do you look up this type of info? Where can I find info on a good breeder in New York for smooth reds?

Penny

Hi there. Are there any AKC dogshows in your area? I would start searching AKC on line and going to a dog show. Would you consider adopting an adult ready to retire from the show ring? We've done that, and they have been crate and leash trained. We were happy to skip the puppy phase for the sweet hearts that we ended up with.

lisaboo

I am sorry for your loss. =[

I would just look for someone local. That's how we got out Piper and she is a beautiful healthy dog. The lady who had the litter owned both the parents she was 20 min from our house. She has now become a good family friend.

Good luck finding a new pup. =]

Phillips66

That's how we got our penny, but they have since moved, I would gladly buy from someone local.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

lisaboo

Local seems a little safer just because you can go see the environment the dogs are in and meet the people one on one. I personally could not pay that much to have a dog sent to me on an airplane you don't know what you are getting or where the dog is coming from just seems really risky.

I just don't want to see you get a sick puppy with a lot of issues. =[

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
The first thing I would do is find out who belongs to the breed club in your area. Then start interviewing. If a breeder has several litters available. .. run. If they dont do the genetic health tests... run. If they dont give you a health guarantee... run. If they have a waiting list... they're likely good. If they require an interview or home check... they're likely good. If they title their dogs in something. .. they're likely good.

GJBain

The first thing I would do is find out who belongs to the breed club in your area. Then start interviewing. If a breeder has several litters available. .. run. If they dont do the genetic health tests... run. If they dont give you a health guarantee... run. If they have a waiting list... they're likely good. If they require an interview or home check... they're likely good. If they title their dogs in something. .. they're likely good.
This place is local to me. WWW.AKCDACHSHUNDNY.COM

Are they good or should I run?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, they're not as bad as the last... however I was unable to find any mention of health tests on parents before breeding. It does look like they ahow a few. But the do breed alot of mixed breeds... which I dont like to see and reputable breeders wont do. But contact them and ask about health tests and if you can come see them. That will tell you alot.

HilyBee

@GJ I agree with Sara. They definitely look better than the first breeder, but still a little fishy. I would contact them and see if you can go over to meet the pups and see where they are kept.

Penny

Before you contact anyone, I put the word out to someone that might suggest a reputable breeder. I'll let you know.

GJBain

Well, they're not as bad as the last... however I was unable to find any mention of health tests on parents before breeding. It does look like they ahow a few. But the do breed alot of mixed breeds... which I dont like to see and reputable breeders wont do. But contact them and ask about health tests and if you can come see them. That will tell you alot.
That was the first thing I noticed that I did not like.....The other breeds mixed breeds. I would never buy a Dachshund with out A)Seeing the parents, B)seeing where and how they are raised, and C)without test info. Thanks for the reply.

amparra

That was the first thing I noticed that I did not like.....The other breeds mixed breeds. I would never buy a Dachshund with out A)Seeing the parents, B)seeing where and how they are raised, and C)without test info. Thanks for the reply.
A word about the parents. Both parents on site is not necessarily a good thing. Thats definitely a yellow flag to me. Remember, reputable breeders are breeding for the betterment of the breed. Rarely is the "best match" between two dogs the breeders already owns. Im not saying it can't happen but if the breeder is breeding his or her own dogs together frequently, its a BYB and I would stay away.

ETA: Also, reputable breeders typically have waiting lists. If you can't wait then you are better off going the rescue or shelter route.

Wyominiwiener

You could also check with the Doxie club being in IL they should have a local club with reputable breeders.

When I found our Female blue collie many years ago. She came from a very respectable breeder. We where able to meet her, she gave us a tour of her kennel. She has bred and raised some highly placed collies in the AKC. We found her through the Collie Club of America.

Tim