am i over paranoid?

kawaii thai

two days ago we bought our mini dachshund puppy mollie. when we got her home she has done nothing but dry heave/ vomit. we called the breeder and let her know, in turn she called others who had gotten other puppies from the same litter and all were fine. we took mollie to the vet and did a health exam and everything came back normal. so we all chopped it up to stress...the next day we got up and on top of still dry heaving/vomiting she now had slimy snotty runs. so we took her back to the vet and did a fecal test and when that came back negative did the parvo test and that also came back negative. so they sent her home saying she was ok yet again with just a shot to try and help ease her nausea. here it is the next day and shes still doing the dry heaving and when she does it sounds wet and has sounded that way ever sence the day she came home from the breeder. am i just over paranoid? vets say shes fine but i have never seen a puppy be fine but just sit around dry heaving with a wet watery noise. has anyone else had something like this? it sounds like she's going to vomit water every where but little to nothing comes out. im not sure what else to do at this point i cant keep spending $250 a vet visit... we have already had $400+ done in vet work in the two days we have had her just to be told she is fine....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

kawaii thai

she is 9 weeks old
she was the runt
and she hasn't gotten into anything while with us
she has had two rounds of shots and been wormed
if you need anymore info please let me know

amparra

Has Kennel Cough been ruled out? Its fairly common. My puppy (who was a rescue) came down with it when she came to us. She heaved and vomited for the first two days. Its a virus so it ran its course on its own without any medication. I fed her a bland diet to help with the vomiting.

It has an incubation of about 10 days so it is likely that she had already been exposed before she came to you. I would question the quality of a breeder that would send you home with a sick dog. That does not happen with a reputable breeder.

amparra

Well you definitely wouldn't rule it out through a fecal test. I would get the opinion of a different vet at a different practice, especially if she is still vomiting. Puppies can dehydrate quickly. The heaving is what makes me suspect its KC but I'm not a vet.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That is not normal. And the vets shouldn't be sending you home saying she's fine. Also, if she's only 9 weeks, no way in heck should she already have 2 sets of shots! That's ridiculous, and very hard on the immune system. No wonder she's sick! She should not have her first shot until 8 weeks, and jer second not less than 4 weeks later! Find another vet.

Nell

I agree with Deafdogs there is no way she should have had all her shots by nine weeks? It might also be worth asking what they wormed her with? if she was wormed before you picked her up this could have had a reaction. Connie was very sick after a wormer the vet gave, I now use a different one and she tolerates it very well.

Is she drinking / eating / going to wee with no problems? this is very important as at nine weeks dehydration is a real problem. I would be very concerned if this was my pup and would definitely go with the suggestion of a second opinion, hope everything goes well for her, keep us up to date.

kawaii thai

she is eating but picky on drinking so she is dehydrated, i know you cant rule out kennel cough with a fecal that seams kinda obvious. shes still playing and going potty outside.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
If she is eating, feed her canned food, so she gwts lots of water. I wont feed dry food. I feed canned or float their kibble. Dry food is really bad for hydration.

babysis

Shots waaayyy to early for 9 weeks. And that's not on you it's the breeders issue and they should have known better. Get a second opinion, go somewhere else. It sounds like a side affect from the shots your pup has had along with kennel cough. Best of luck to you.

Nell

Just another thought....if the shots WERE done before nine weeks (have you got proof of this?) then you should really consider getting them done again when she is a bit older and in much better health. The reason the shots are not supposed to be given till eight / nine weeks (first one) is because up till then the puppy carries the mothers immunity so the shots are not effective. They do the second shot between 3 to 4 weeks after the first in case the mother immunity had not worn off by the 8 weeks. This way the shots will be effective after the puppy has lost mums immunity.

Please get a second opinion and mention to the vet the age the puppy was vaccinated as you may find your puppy is not covered after all.