Alaska is home!

love'laska

Hi, everyone.

I just wanted to stop by with PUPPY PICTURES. Alaska was a doll the entire 11 hours in the car yesterday. She's only had one potty accident and that's because she didn't realize only her front half was on the pee pad, and that her back half was hanging off. I'm slowly getting her used to liking her play pen. Right now, the only time she cries is when I put her in the pen and she usually stops after a few minutes. Last night, I let her sleep with me, since that's where she'll be sleeping once she can hold her bladder overnight. This morning, she woke up early and we played for a bit and then I put her in her pen and she let me nap an hour before I fed her breakfast. Then, we played on the back porch for a bit. Right now, she's napping in my lap. I'm going to go get some plain yogurt and pumpkin to mix up to freeze in her puppy kong for a treat tonight.

Nell

Awww she is soooo sweet!

She is very much like my little girl, how can anyone resist those puppy eyes?

Enjoy your lovely baby.....and keep the photos coming!

love'laska

Awww she is soooo sweet!

She is very much like my little girl, how can anyone resist those puppy eyes?

Enjoy your lovely baby.....and keep the photos coming!
Thank you! I already love her so much that it hurts! Haha. All of these photos were taken from my phone. I have a couple on my nice camera, and I'm hoping to get some more tonight. She's just so photogenic!

I just looked at your photos of Connie, and you're right! They look very similar. Did her hair darken over time?

Nell

Yes a little, she is six months this week and the most beautiful rich red now.

I am soo lucky she was clean within three days (I also used the puppy pads), she is also very intelligent and easy to train. I can walk her anywhere off leash and she stays with me at all times. She even stops at the kerb and waits for me to tell her to cross the road! (of course I wouldn't try this near heavy traffic). I only have to speak to her and she pays me attention immediately.

At six months she is of course a real live wire! she hardly sleeps at all now during the day, is chewing EVERYTHING she can get in her mouth, lives for food, brings me presents of stones, plants and mud indoors from the garden and is constantly under my feet! She also gets excited at the slightest thing, is looking for mischief all day but she makes me laugh at least once an hour and I wouldn't be without her for the world. :)

I hope your pup brings you all the joy mine has, there is nothing quite like it!

love'laska

Connie definitely sounds very smart! I hope Alaska catches on that quickly. She's recognizing her name, already, which I'm taking as a good sign. Later when she's up from her nap and has had a chance to run off some energy, I'm going to introduce her to the clicker for clicker training and maybe work on 'sit' tonight.

You sound so happy to have Connie. I know Alaska will bring me that same kind of joy.

Penny

What a little cutie!! Love. Wishing Alaska many healthy, happy, loving years with you.

Our first doxie was Basil and he had a black nose but the rest of him that should be black was a very rich mahogany. His nails were beautiful with a bit of striping of dark brown and lighter brown. People used to hold him and check out every nail. We got him as an adult and never had the pleasure of one puppy pic. Maybe I can pretend my sweet Basil looked like your sweetie. Gosh I miss that dog. So. Keep the photos coming!! Love.

love'laska

Penny, it sounds like he was absolutely gorgeous! I have more pictures of Alaska to share later this evening. Right now, I have two kongs full of plain yogurt and pumpkin in the freezer. Stuffing puppy kongs is terribly hard with those little openings!

We just got done playing with a tennis ball and Alaska is napping, so she'll get a kong after her nap, since her dinner time isn't for another four and a half hours. (I have her eating breakfast and dinner at 10 AM and PM, with lunch at 4 PM. I'm a night owl, so I want her to be used to my schedule of being up late and sleeping a little late, too. It seemed to work really well today.

My 16 year old sister and her boyfriend are coming over soon and my 11 year old cousin will be here tomorrow. Lots of puppy socializing. Right now my biggest fear is her quick attachment to me. Since we'll be living in the college dorms starting in a week, she needs to not whine so much when I leave. Early I ran to the store for 20 minutes and left her in her pen while my uncle was in the other room and he said she stopped whining after a few minutes. She did have another accident earlier, but once again, she was really close to her potty pad. Regardless, I'm very pleased with her personality and her progress after only one day!

crystalclear1027

OMG!!!! She is adorable, I am so happy for you! I can tell that she is going to be another spoiled doxi! How can you not spoil her, I am sure she is going to be a great companion and catch on to the training really fast, it's sounds like you have a lot of patience and love for her. Great pictures!!!

GJBain

Beautiful dog. Can I ask....Are you only going to use the "potty pads" with her or are you working on taking her outside too? I know you are going to be in a college dorm and the outside part may be difficult while on campus, that is why I ask. Hopefully she gets to go outside to take care of business. Good luck with her!

love'laska

I'm doing both! Right now, I take her outside right after she eats and we run around for a bit. She usually potties right when we get outside and I praise her and give her treats. We also spend plenty of time outside after she wakes from naps. Eventually, I'd like her to only be going outside. But, like you said, I'll be living in a dorm, on the third floor and until she's better at holding it, it'll be hard to get her outside to go if I see her starting to squat. We're using the pads as a preventative in emergencies right now. She's mostly been going outside though. At first I was worried this might confuse her, but she's catching on VERY quickly.