8 week old puppy humping..

Hayleysmom

So I know humping has a lot to do with dominance, but I find it funny that my little baby is humping at this age. Twice while sitting on my lap she began to hump my leg, which I removed her and told her no. Is she trying to display dominance over me? :confused: or is this just her way of saying "you're mine"?

amparra

Humping isn't always a dominance or sexual behavior. Most of the dog dominance theory is actually based on incorrect observations of wolves in captivity. I wouldn't read too much into it, your puppy is only 8 weeks old, she's a baby. The chances that she is trying to assert her dominance over you are slim to none. She is most likely excited, playing, and has no idea what she's doing.

HilyBee

My puppy did that too at only 9 weeks old. The vet told me it is normal (especially because he is a male) for them to hump when they are excited or just not sure how to show their happiness yet, especially at that age. He said if it continued past 5 months then we could consider it being early sexual behavior. Granted I have a male, so it is a little different. I've never had a female dachshund.

My 4 month pup Eric humps his cover and his teddy (but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what hes doing). My mums dog at home has been snipped (a looonnnng time ago) and after dinner he humps his bed every night, same time. If my nan is there he wont do it as she calls him dirty so as soon as she leaves he grabs it. I think its natural and harmless!