8 week old Crying when I leave

Aussie

Hey all, I'm a new a owner of a black and tan, male, mini dachshund :). Bentley is only 8 weeks old and I just got him from the breeder and in the last few days he has gotten attached to me quicker than I expected which is fine :) but everytime I have to leave him in the yard while I'm doing stuff inside he crys non stop until he sees me, I'm worried he is stressing out as he try's to bite the screen door and dig through it :/, other than that he is perfect!. Well guess my question is, will he get used to me being away while at work? He has toys he can destroy and nothing in the yard he could destroy, so he is safe and can't get up to too much trouble. He won't be alone for huge periods just maybe few hours tops until someone is home again.
Also he has taken a shine to sleeping at my feet or right up next to me not in his bed next to my bed, it's not close enough for him so he sooks if he can't get up there.

vizzla

He is just to young to be left alone, even if you are inside, and he is outisde. 8weeks old is just like a little baby. He needs to feel safe for weeks if you will be able to leave him.
If he is left alone too soon you will have problems in the future, he will get upset when left alone.

A puppy may not be left alone for the first 4 to 6 months if you dont want problems with stress and whining.

I would see to that he is never left alone for more than a few minutes at a time, like going out with the trash. Make sure he always know you are nereby. He has just arrived at your home. It can take weeks for him to adjust to all sounds, smells and things around him. Dont leave him in that alone.

We have a 10 months old, that has lived here for 2 months now. He is not yet adjustet to all sounds. He still barks at the washingmachine or at the dishwasher. Just show him all the sounds and movements out back and make sure he has a safe place to crawl up in if he gets nervous. Have a bed or a crate without a door on it, his blanket or your t-shirts.

Good luck.

You will often hear doxie owners say "they are just like potato chips, you can't have just one." They do like company. And they love to cuddle. A second dog can help, but they prefer to be with their human.

And they do eventually adjust to being left alone.

We made the decision to get a second dachshund when PD became so attached to me that I couldn't walk across the room without his grabbing my pants leg. The second dog helped a lot, and relieved our sense of guilt over leaving him home while we went to work.

We got our puppy when he was 8 weeks and he cried when we left him but quickly adapted to our routine. We gave him lots of toys to play with when we were at work and lots of blankets (loves to snuggle in them) and watched him on webcam. He cried for the first few days on and off but now at four months he doesn't cry at all during the day. He sleeps for most of it and then plays with his toys before we come home. The only time he has cried recently is when we tried to nip out in the evening during a weekday. He knew it was unusual and was like nooooo you're supposed to be with me after work. It just takes time and routine. :)

Aussie

I know he is only young but I have to work, he will only be left alone for an hour or so tops usually, my brother, mum and lil sister keep him company when I'm at work. He is given lots of love and play when people are home :) usually until the point he goes into his bed and sleeps for hours on end.
If I could get another pup I would but can't at this point.
Thank you for the responses so far :)

vizzla

Try to put one of your used t-shirts in his bed. Maybe he will calm down and lay down on that. Our dog got calmer when he could have "us" near by laying down on our t-shirts.. :)

Aussie

Thanks for the tip :) Ill try it!
He now will go to his bed and sleep in it and not continue to cry as much and walk around looking for me. only his second day getting used to the routine! So fingers crossed the poor bugger doesn't stress too much, but never seen someone so happy to see me after work! Haha runs flat out towards me stumbles a few times over his small legs lol then jumps on me wanting a pat :)

schierling

Dachshunds do tend to be pretty independent, but 8 weeks is pretty young. He is bonding to you, and misses the little dog pile he came from. At 10-12 weeks they start to explore and you will be spending time keeping him out of trouble.

I would let him try to get used to being the only one but if he seems really lonely and develops anxiety when you are gone then try a second. I love new puppies.