6th week of pregnancy

Nikky5000

my long hair miniature dachshund is expecting she is 6weeks along this Sunday she will be 7 weeks along. My question is it normal to feel them this early? Could it mean she is having a large litter? This is not my first litter my other female had 2 litters I couldn't feel them until the end of the 7th week. She has a vet appointment in a week to do x-rays I'm just really impatient sorry :)

Nell

How exciting! I do think its normal to feel the pups quite early, some are good at hiding them better than others lol! it could just be she is carrying low or she has a large litter!!! do let us know what you get (with photos of course).
Good luck to you and mum, hope everything goes well for both of you.

Nikky5000

Giving an update me and the sire's owner mixed up the dates so she was actually 7 weeks :eek: that was why I was feeling puppies. So now she is really 8 weeks going by the first day she tied. She is on day 52 so happy puppies will be here soon :D she is getting an x-ray this Sunday can't wait to get an idea of how many she is having. I think 5-6 puppies hopefully it's not too big of a litter

Last edited:

Nikky5000

Having a new problem she refuses to eat her dog food she will eat wet food. I have been switching between wet food and chicken and rice. I put chicken broth on her dried kibble but she will not eat it. I mixed the wet food with the dried food and she still refuses to eat it. Does anyone know how to get her to eat her dried kibble?

Last edited:

Nell

Hmmmm.......sounds like she is having cravings like a lot of pregnant mums lol!

Just a guess but dried food swells in the gut and may make her feel too bloated,

I am not a great fan of too much dried food as I believe its long term use is not good for the kidneys plus its boring, we wouldn't feel hungry if we only ate dried food. I do sometimes use it to mix with wet food though, your dog can get 100% of her nutritional needs from good quality wet food so why not indulge her, after all every pregnant mum deserve a little bit of spoiling :)

Nikky5000

Ok she only has a few more days left I guess there is no harm in continuing her on wet food. I was just a little worried that the wet food isn't as healthy as the dry food but I worry a lot about them anyways :)

Nikky5000

I took her to the vet they said possibly 4 or 5 they said her colon was full so they couldn't really see on one one side hoping for 5 puppies I have 5 good homes and families and most of the people have been waiting over a year don't want to disappoint anyone.

Nell

5 would be a good litter for a dachshund! what colours are you expecting?

When I bred my Pointers I was careful to supplement quite early if it was a large litter otherwise they can really take it out on the mum.

So glad you have some good homes lined up. Hope everything goes well for you and don't forget to post us some photos!

Nikky5000

We are expecting mostly black and tans but it's really hard to know we bred her to a blue color boy and the mom has history of blue so we could get any color puppy. I will definitely post pics as soon as she has them :)

Nikky5000

Her temp. dropped to 99.4 its been staying in the 100s. I am going to take her temp. again in a hour to see. Have a very good feeling she is in labor she hasn't eaten today only a couple of pieces of food and she's been snapping at the other dogs when they come near her. So fingers cross everything goes great and we have 5 puppies in the end. :)

Nikky5000

Took her temp. again it was 99.0 she is in her whelping box streched out she made a couple grunting noises so she is definitely in labor have the emergency vet on stand-by just in case hoping i won't need them and she will have them all naturally.:)

Nell

Sooo exciting!

Good luck, I am sure everything will be fine but its good you have the vet on standby. Can't wait to hear what she has.........................

Nikky5000

Giving an update no puppies yet :( the vet said this is normal her body is preparing for the birth of the puppies and to just wait if she goes into distress get her to vet ASAP but other than that it's just a waiting game. I hate this wish there was more i could do but in the long run it'll be better for the puppies to stay in a little longer. Hopefully she will have them soon I am going crazy just waiting :D

Nikky5000

Puppies soon

Giving an update I took her temp. it was at 98.0 2 hours ago I just now took it and it is at 97.8 so it's going down this is the lowest I have ever seen her temp. I called the vet she thinks she is in labor if she doesn't have her puppies within 24 hours. We are taking her to the vets office. Fingers crossed that we have puppies tonight :D

Nikky5000

Giving an update we have puppies. We had to do a c-section there were 3 large puppies. So we thought doing a c-section would be better for mom and puppies. She had to stay overnight but she is home and we have to bottle feed because mom is not making enough milk.

Attachments

Nell

So glad they are here safe and sound. Bottle feeding is hard work, I had to do it once with a litter of Pointers lol!

Hope mum is getting some rest, enjoy your babies they will soon grow, are you keeping any of them?

Nikky5000

Thank you everyone I absolutely love the colors of them :) everyone was shocked to see all blues we were all expecting black and tans. We sadly aren't keeping any :( I wouldn't mind having another dog but I think my other pets would. These puppies were huge the biggest pup named Daisy was 208g at birth :eek: the second pup named Minnie was 171g and the third named Jasper was 169g at birth we were really shocked at the sizes mom is normally between 6-7 pounds.