Does anyone have red smooth hair dachshunds any more?

GJBain

Does anyone have red smooth hair dachshunds any more????? No one seems to have red smooth hair Dachshunds for sale anymore!!! Hot dogs are red! Burnt hot dogs are black & tans. That's it!!! Hell I would even take a really burnt hot dog (all black) What is up with all these other so called "types" of Dachshunds??? Dapple, Piebald, long haired. These are not hot dogs so they are not Dachshunds. I know a lot of people on here might not agree but that's the way it is in my opinion. OK rant over.:D

Penny

Gosh, my complaint is that I can't find a piebald in my province. lol
Piebalds, with their white feet and tail tip are marked like other hunting dogs, like bassets and beagles. They are much easier to see in low light conditions and taller grass because of the white flag of their tails. I think piebalds should hold a primary place in the dachshund world since they are hunting dogs after all. lol

The show breeders in this province have mostly b/t and reds. Check out the show breeders where you are. If you are considering adoption, you can always contact a show breeder and ask that, when they have an adult ready to retire, to give you a call. You'll get a beautiful dog, leash and crate trained, and a good representative of the breed.

Steph

Most of the other "types" were hardly ever seen because breeders used to focus solely on the reds or black/ tans. The other colours/ patterns are as old as the breed itself, it's just the real purpose of those colours were not used very often. Really, how many people nowadays actually hunt with their dachshunds? The tri colour (piebald) is a true hound colouration and dapple/ merle is also a hunting colouration allowing the dog to blend in like camoflague while hunting.

There are still a multitude of breeders that have reds or black/ tans, it just depends on where you are located.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I wish there were only reds and black and tans... then no idiot "breeders" would breed Double Dapples! Yes I have 2, but they're both deaf and sight impaired because of it. Breeding for colour is not acceptable, imo

GJBain

There are still a multitude of breeders that have reds or black/ tans, it just depends on where you are located.
I am in the great state of New York. Me personally only recognize the Reds. They are the nicest looking in my opinion.

GJBain

I wish there were only reds and black and tans... then no idiot "breeders" would breed Double Dapples! Yes I have 2, but they're both deaf and sight impaired because of it. Breeding for colour is not acceptable, imo
I hate when breeders do that kind of stuff. There are so many issues with different breeds of dogs because breeders what them to look or be "different". STUPID!

Penny

I am in the great state of New York. Me personally only recognize the Reds. They are the nicest looking in my opinion.
So you'd like this guy...

I love this guy too. Jaw dropping...

Do you have an opinion on mini vs standard too?? lol

GJBain

So you'd like this guy...

I love this guy too. Jaw dropping...

Do you have an opinion on mini vs standard too?? lol
That red one is a beauty!! The Black and Tan is very nice too. Are they yours? I like both standard and the miniature. The last one we just had (red smooth miniature female) was 13 lbs. at her peak. Go to the "new member introduction" section and read "my first post" thread to read about her. She lived 17 years and 3 weeks. I also put some pictures in "my album". So I guess to me the ideal is a "tweenie wienie".

Last edited:

GJBain

Both boys have their championship, the red fella is mine. He's 11 now.
At 11 is he starting to gray a lot. Ours was beautiful red like that too but got real gray at about 6 years old. She was still a beauty even though she was just about all gray in the end.

Penny

At 11 is he starting to gray a lot. Ours was beautiful red like that too but got real gray at about 6 years old. She was still a beauty even though she was just about all gray in the end.
He's got hardly any grey, and I find it quite shocking actually. lol The ladies at the vet fell over when I told them how old he was. From the other day...

Dachloves201

I have a red but it's long haired. The funny thing is people marvel at how old my red boy is too for being 13 he doesn't have too much grey just around the mouth and a few strands of hair around the eyes. @Penny, our pups must have good anti-aging genes :p lol

Peanut

This is my little red female :) She's about 8-9 months. Honestly, I was never a fan of red dachshunds until I found her. Although, I had only personally known 2 before hand, and they were standards - also not a huge fan of standards. I fell in love with this little girl instantly.

We also have a black/tan long haired male, and we're getting a red/sable long haired dachshund here in 2 weeks.

Nell

Oh Peanut she is gorgeous! what a beautiful colour. I too have a red short hair, she is 6 months. I am looking for a red wire hair now and have just heard of a bitch that was mated 5 weeks ago, keep your fingers crossed for a girl for me I am so excited, I love the reds!

Attachments

Penny

What a beautiful red girl! I can see why you fell in love! Beau used to be very glossy as well but after a bout off allergies, it was hard on his coat, and with age, he's more fluffy than glossy. His coat used to be so lush.

Peanut

What a beautiful red girl! I can see why you fell in love! Beau used to be very glossy as well but after a bout off allergies, it was hard on his coat, and with age, he's more fluffy than glossy. His coat used to be so lush.
I have actually never seen such a red glossy color, which surprised us when we picked her up! Do you have any idea how to keep it glossy? Her fur is super short, I'd say no longer than 1/4th inch. Which I feel like probably helps. But, do you think anything else would? We feed her a decent dog food, also read that may help.. but anything to keep it glossy! lol. I love it.

Nell

I was told to add a 1/4 teaspoon of cod liver oil to their feed, must admit my girls coat is really improving, it might be worth giving it a try. Would love to know what others use?