problems with biting

tphskab

Hi everyone. My wife and I have had our 8 week old dachshund puppy for a few days. His name is Mochi and he is amazing! He was essentially crate trained since day 1 and is taking to potty training very well. We are just having issues with him biting and playing very hard. If we try to discipline, he gets more riled up and bites even more. He won't stop biting my clothes when I am on the ground with him and bites our hands or any body part, really. He also chews on the carpet a lot, which concerns me because I have heard of dogs being put down due to eating carpet and it not digesting.

I am wondering (and hoping!!!) is there anything we can do to at least minimize the biting and chewing? Is this something that will go away as he grows up? Thanks so much in advance!

GJBain

Hi everyone. My wife and I have had our 8 week old dachshund puppy for a few days. His name is Mochi and he is amazing! He was essentially crate trained since day 1 and is taking to potty training very well. We are just having issues with him biting and playing very hard. If we try to discipline, he gets more riled up and bites even more. He won't stop biting my clothes when I am on the ground with him and bites our hands or any body part, really. He also chews on the carpet a lot, which concerns me because I have heard of dogs being put down due to eating carpet and it not digesting.

I am wondering (and hoping!!!) is there anything we can do to at least minimize the biting and chewing? Is this something that will go away as he grows up? Thanks so much in advance!
He will grow out out the biting some when he gets older. Boy their baby teeth are sharp aren't they?

CaseyKC

Like human babies, dachshunds are born without teeth. The baby teeth start coming in between 6 and 10 weeks. Mochi is probably teething and looking for relief from the discomfort. He is also exploring his new environment and "tasting" anything and everything. I don't think he is biting. You may use a word or a sound (consistently) when he tests out some part of the human anatomy to soothe his mouth. Along with the sound or word, make a sad face. Don't use "NO" for your word, you will need that later for other behaviors you will want to stop. Maybe, "ouch" in a high pitched voice, not loud. Give him lots of different things to chew on. Freeze a few wash cloths for supervised chewing. The cold will give him short term relief.

Hunter's Parade

Take the carpet away,that will solve one of your problems.In fact baby teeth comes in way before 6 weeks,my puppies are now almost 2 weeks and I can feel their canines coming out.
They just bite,they play that way. When he does that, give him a toy and play with it,if that doesn't help and he keeps biting you instead,stand up,go away,close a door and let him think a while why you did that.Biting in body parts and clothes means game is over.Every single time!