Why did you choose dachshund?

Best thing about dachshunds are:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vizzla

How come you live with dachshunds today?

What made you make that decision? :)

It was my husband who wanted a dachshund because he liked the way they looked and acted.

I was a bit negativ to smaller dogs, I had the idea of them beeing missbehaving, bakring a lot and not very nice. I agreed to meet a kennel and we went to a dog show for dhacshunds. After we met with kennel number 2 I was sold! They fited us perfectly! I love them, the way they look, their temper and their beeing. I can not live whitouth them now. I will always have a dachshund unless:
1) someone gets allergic
2) we cant activate them enough.
Lets hope that never happens

:D

nola

I chose a Dachshund because I needed a dog that was:
Smart
Small
Loyal
Cute
Had a lot of stamina
Funny
Tolerated the heat well
And Dachshund fit that

My son got a minnie dachshund when he was in college. We dog-sat his dog a couple of times, and I learned I wasn't allergic to the dog. I'd always had allergies, and so all of the dogs we had while the kids were growing up lived outside.

After our beagle died, we decided to get a dachshund, and that led to a second one. These were the first "inside-dogs" we had ever had. It is amazing how much closer you get to the animals when they actually live with, and sleep with you.

jax's_mommy

About 5 years ago, I had a red smooth coat mini dachshund. She was sweet, loyal, had a great temperament and personality. I fell in love with the breed after having her.

When I got Jax, I wasn't looking really for any particular dog. While searching, I found the add for dachshund puppies. Saw his picture with that split color face and fell in love with him. I knew I had to have him. :)

Noodles~Mom

I never wanted a little dog... Noodle just fell into my lap, didnt think much of her when I got her but quickly fell inlove with her and now she is my "dittle doobug":D

Doxmom

My sweet baby Brandee~Cherie, a 12 yr old pekingese passed away.Although we still have our 15 yr old male peke, Bailey, I missed the closeness I had with Brandee. Three months passed. I was kinda looking for a small dog that did not require grooming every six weeks.

My neighbor and close friend has a standard doxie that she rescued. While looking at doxies on the net, I saw Bree as part of a litter from a nearby breeder. One visit and it was all over..And this Little Guy has added so much to my life.

But honestly, does he *have* to hog the covers?? ;)

They are burrowing, and making sure you don't have any badgers, rats or rabbits hidden in the covers.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Brave little dogs, aren't they?

squish13

I've wanted one since I was a teenager! But I've always liked them since they look like a regular dog, as opposed to how funny a lot of smaller dogs look, but they are smaller. Plus you can't help but to laugh and smile at the way they walk and bounce about with those tiny legs! I got a mini since I have a fairly busy life and wanted one that didn't need hours of exercise like a big dog.

Steph

In actual fact, I wasn't the one who wanted a dachshund - my daughter did. I was/ am a Doberman person. And so along comes Arelus, the coolest looking little wiener that I had ever seen. I took a week off of work to see him settled in at home and thus he became "my" dog. He renewed my interest in genetic studies probably because dachshunds have such a wide range of coats, colors and patterns and I JUST HAD to learn ALL that I could (I'm still learning :D) In a way, you can say that he really chose me and I'm so glad that he did. I still think he's a Dobie in a wiener dog body :p

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Ha ha Penny!

I didn't choose the breed, Mouse came to me as a foster and stayed... not eactly sure why I got the second one.... They just seem to need to be owned in multiples! LOL

Ha ha Penny!

I didn't choose the breed, Mouse came to me as a foster and stayed... not eactly sure why I got the second one.... They just seem to need to be owned in multiples! LOL
They do, don't they?

We got a second one so PD would have something else to do besides follow us around. He was incredibly demanding of our attention. But then, he was only 5 weeks old when we got him. We didn't realize that was too young, and the breeder ??? didn't care?