What food to feed our puppy?

lisaboo

We get our little Piper in June she is a red longhair standard. We were at the pet store the other day and we are looking at feeding her Blue Buffalo Puppy food. Or the Eukanuba Dachshund formula but we aren't sure if she can have that as a puppy.

Any thoughts on these foods or anyone who feeds these brands?

We know not to get anything from Wal Mart we are getting our food from Petsmart they carry all the more expensive brands but better nutrition.

Little Sophie

We get our little Piper in June she is a red longhair standard. We were at the pet store the other day and we are looking at feeding her Blue Buffalo Puppy food. Or the Eukanuba Dachshund formula but we aren't sure if she can have that as a puppy.

Any thoughts on these foods or anyone who feeds these brands?
When we picked up Sophie, her foster mom was feeding her Eukanuba for a few weeks. She started getting a rash on her stomach and seemed itchy. We switched her to Innova Prime and immediately noticed a difference. With the recall of Innova, we have her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness. I'd choose the Blue over Eukanuba.

lisaboo

When we picked up Sophie, her foster mom was feeding her Eukanuba for a few weeks. She started getting a rash on her stomach and seemed itchy. We switched her to Innova Prime and immediately noticed a difference. With the recall of Innova, we have her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness. I'd choose the Blue over Eukanuba.
We will have to start with puppy formula first. Thanks for the info we will just have to try it and see we won't know any allergies or food sensitivity right away.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I Boycott Iams (Eukanuba is made by Iams) due to horrific animal testing policies, and horrific rumours as to what's actually in their foods. Blue wilderness is ok, I wouldn't feed the other foods, Breed specific foods are just a gimmick, You pay more, and there's no reason for them.

Honestly, if I had to buy from Petsmart, I'd buy Halo. I don't feed anything they carry, however, as it's all sub-standard, compared to what I feed.

I also don't believe in feeding puppy food, I prefer "all life stages" foods. I've never fed a puppy food to any of my dogs, nor has my sister.

I also don't believe in feeding the same thing day after day... The more variety your dog eats, the more tolerant their digestive system is, and they get a bigger variety in nutrients and proteins. My 3 dogs and cat get something different every meal, and I feed dry, canned, raw, dehydrated, and leftovers. My dogs never get diarrhea, and they are extremely healthy. They also LOVE their meals, and are that much more eager to work for their food. I've advised several other people to try it, with HUGE success. One dog was a picky eater that was underweight... she now LOVES her meals and is a healthy weight. Another lady has 4 mastiffs that were raw fed, but her freezer broke down, so she's feeding the way I do, and her one dog that always has ear infections has completely cleared up... she thinks he's been able to build a tolerance to whatever was causing the issues.

lisaboo

I Boycott Iams (Eukanuba is made by Iams) due to horrific animal testing policies, and horrific rumours as to what's actually in their foods. Blue wilderness is ok, I wouldn't feed the other foods, Breed specific foods are just a gimmick, You pay more, and there's no reason for them.

Honestly, if I had to buy from Petsmart, I'd buy Halo. I don't feed anything they carry, however, as it's all sub-standard, compared to what I feed.

I also don't believe in feeding puppy food, I prefer "all life stages" foods. I've never fed a puppy food to any of my dogs, nor has my sister.

I also don't believe in feeding the same thing day after day... The more variety your dog eats, the more tolerant their digestive system is, and they get a bigger variety in nutrients and proteins. My 3 dogs and cat get something different every meal, and I feed dry, canned, raw, dehydrated, and leftovers. My dogs never get diarrhea, and they are extremely healthy. They also LOVE their meals, and are that much more eager to work for their food. I've advised several other people to try it, with HUGE success. One dog was a picky eater that was underweight... she now LOVES her meals and is a healthy weight. Another lady has 4 mastiffs that were raw fed, but her freezer broke down, so she's feeding the way I do, and her one dog that always has ear infections has completely cleared up... she thinks he's been able to build a tolerance to whatever was causing the issues.
I have heard that the puppy food is more easily digestible on their little stomachs than the all stages food is that wrong?

And I have heard not to feed them table scraped because the breed is very prone to being obese and this can make it worse. Is that true?

If you don't buy dry or canned food from a pet store where do you get it from?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I have heard that the puppy food is more easily digestible on their little stomachs than the all stages food is that wrong?

No that's just one of the "myths" about puppy food. Some puppy foods have more protein, some less, some have more calcium, some less, all puppy foods have more fat, however, as puppies need more calories. I just prefer to feed more food.

And I have heard not to feed them table scraped because the breed is very prone to being obese and this can make it worse. Is that true?

Everything in moderation watch your dog's weight carefully, feed more or less depending on a healthy weight. and mine don't get it off my plate. it goes in their dishes later, or we do some tricks for it after I'm done eating and the plate is back on the counter

If you don't buy dry or canned food from a pet store where do you get it from?
I do get their food from a pet store, Just not Petsmart. I go to health food pet stores. Global Pet Foods, Tailblazers and Pet Planet... though I think all three are Canadian franchises. I have no idea where you'd go to get healthy foog where you are, but there's bound to be health food pet stores nearby. I live in city of 100 000 people and we have 2 big huge box petstores and 4 smaller "health food" stores

Here's some brands I like
Orijien- dry
Acana- dry
Horizon Amicus- dry
Horizon Legacy- dry
Horizon Pulsar- dry
First Mate- dry and canned
Natures Variety- dry, canned, raw, dehydrated
The Honest Kitchen- dehydrated
K9 Natural- dehydrated
Fromm- dry and canned

I have 3 rules when choosing a pet food
1- Must be owned by a company that only makes pet food (no Nestle, Mars, or Proctor and Gamble...)
2- Must be made in their own factory (not made in a contracted facility like Diamond)
3- Must not have questionable ingredients.