Vet visit today..

jax's_mommy

So we finally got Jax to the vet today :) got his shots, nails clipped (finally, ugh lol) de-wormer and a heartworm prevent/flea treatment combo pill.. He didn't even flinch when he got the shot. When it came down to his nails, he was whining like he was being beaten to death. And scampered to me as soon as he was down lol poor baby :)

Found out a couple of interesting things. He will be 4 months tomorrow, is right testicle is dropping fine, the left on the other hand hasn't yet. The vet said its there, just hasn't dropped. He said it could be a problem if it doesn't. I told him I am going to have Jax fixed when it's time to. THen he said it shouldnt be a problem then if I do.

Also found out Jax has a slight underbite. He said its just enough to notice its there.
Oh, i thought he weighed about 8 lbs (boy he sure feels like it) But he only weighs 5.7lbs.

Last edited:

Steph

Oh lol, poor boy...sounds like Ree the other night when I cut his nails :)

Did the vet tell you that if it doesn't drop by the time you have him neutered, that they would have to do something similar to a spay surgery to remove the un-descended testicle?
An underbite's not going to hurt him. Hermes and Hercules, my shih boys have noticeable underbites. We tease them about being upside down vampires :D

Ree weighed the same as Jax at that age...he's now 16 lbs at a 1.5 yrs.

garyd

My Mica also had one undescended testicle. I had done some research and found that leaving it would greatly increase cancer chances later in his life, so opted to have him "fixed" even though I have full AKC papers. Luckily, it was so close that they were able to retrieve it without the spay surgery which was more expensive, and worse, would have meant an overnight stay away from me! Hope Jax has at LEAST the same good fortune.

jax's_mommy

Didn't help the vet clipped to the quick on accident. Jax has all black nails, not easy to tell :(
No, he didn't mention that. He just said we would see what happens and go from there.
Hmm, maybe I;ll have to call him that too lol it's so unnoticeable. But I guess that would explain why it looks as if his lip is always caught on his teeth lol. Other than that, wouldn't even notice anything wrong.
Either way I still love him :D

Jax is suppose to be around 15-20 lbs. His mommy and daddy were both around that weight range. But never know, he could end up being a tweenie lol :)

jax's_mommy

Thank you! I hope so too. I'll do what needs to be done, but I hope its not the more expensive way. I also couldn't handle being away from my baby overnight :( I'd get lonely (forget the husband i want my pup lol ) :D

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
awe 5.7 lbs... so cute and tiny! My two are 7lbs (male) and 8lbs (female) full grown, though Boo (the male) was over 10 lbs when I adopted him). I'm looking after another Dachshund right now who's considerably bigger at 15lbs. The owners were calling him a mini, but anything over 11lbs is technically a Standard (no such thing as a tweenie technically)

jax's_mommy

That, I actually didn't know. I've always heard that term for them when they're bigger than a mini and smaller than a standard. But it's good to know :)
I had a mini awhile back that was about 6-7lbs. But she was smaller in size compared to Jax.

Love the name Boo! I had a pit when I was a kid named Boo :D

Doxmom

right testicle is dropping fine, the left on the other hand hasn't yet. The vet said its there, just hasn't dropped. He said it could be a problem if it doesn't. I told him I am going to have Jax fixed when it's time to.
Bree has the exact same situation. The vet said he felt the undescended one. but the charge for neutering will be more because it makes the procedure more difficult. Gosh, I hope he doesn't have to stay at the vets overnight..I'm planning to have it done at a year old - late January. Can't stand the thought of Bree being in pain or recouperating!

jax's_mommy

Poor Bree :( I'm the same way, I can't stand the thought either.
The vet hasn't mention anything yet about prices, could be because he's still a bit young. The only thing that was mentioned, was $75. That was on his very first visit. I had asked them then, so I knew ahead of time.
He did mention that if we couldn't afford it all on the appt we could make payments. That's something they hardly ever do. So, I;m grateful for that.
My plan was also to wait till Jax was a year old - mid August.

Hope Bree has a quick recovery when it comes time! :)

nola

Aw, 5.7lbs! Nola's weight fluctuates from 7.8 to 8.9lbs.
Erm, I hope his nut drops, LOL!:eek::D

jax's_mommy

Aw, 5.7lbs! Nola's weight fluctuates from 7.8 to 8.9lbs.
Erm, I hope his nut drops, LOL!:eek::D
This made my morning! :p Thanks! :) I hope so too!

Goodness, she's tiny! Were both her parents mini's?
Both of Jax's parents were standard. But I know they can throw a mini as well.

nola

This made my morning! :p Thanks! :) I hope so too!

Goodness, she's tiny! Were both her parents mini's?
Both of Jax's parents were standard. But I know they can throw a mini as well.
Her mom was about 16-17lbs and her dad was 15lb. She's just a little girl! I also keep her really lean.:)

Attachments

jax's_mommy

She's so pretty! :) I love her coloring. I've never seen that color combination on doxie's before.
I'm not sure how much his parents weighed. The dad was big though, he probably weighed at least 17-18 lbs the mom possibly 15lbs
Jax is pretty lean too. I keep his food down for him to eat whenever. But he's skinny still lol He only eats maybe a handful worth 2, maybe 3 times a day.

nola

She's so pretty! :) I love her coloring. I've never seen that color combination on doxie's before.
I'm not sure how much his parents weighed. The dad was big though, he probably weighed at least 17-18 lbs the mom possibly 15lbs
Jax is pretty lean too. I keep his food down for him to eat whenever. But he's skinny still lol He only eats maybe a handful worth 2, maybe 3 times a day.
Aw, thanks!:) She's a red sable (people say sable's only in longhairs, but the AKC standard says smooths can be sable too so I'm going with that;)).

jax's_mommy

Took him to get his last set of shots, along with rabies. He did great :) Just like a big boy!
Got his nails clipped again. Screamed like he was being murdered.
Went from weighing 5.7 lbs on the last visit, to 9.1 lbs

jax's_mommy

Oh, his left testicle still hasn't dropped. But he said its right there. He also said the neutering wont be to harsh, itll be a little more extensive though. But he said he wont have to the spay type to remove it.