Therapy Dog?

Doxmom

Is your doxie certified as a therapy dog? Do you think a dachshund would make a good therapy dog? I was in Petco today talking about their dog classes. The trainer told me that several of their dog-students passed their therapy dog tests after their training.

I think if Bree was more social, his quiet personality would make him a good candidate...

nola

Mine isn't, but if the dog has the right temperament I think they make a good therapy dog, regardless of breed. :) I follow a blog about a Dachshund who's a therapy dog.
If Nola wasn't so particular about who she likes, she'd be a great therapy dog. Alas, she's more suited to agility and rally than therapy work.

Doxmom

That makes sense, Nola's Mom, because agility is so active..Therapy dogs are more passive in their purpose.

Bree is an active little guy - but he's definitely got a laid-back personality..

Steph

Most of the therapy doxies I know are Longhairs...they seem to be more laid back than smooths or wires. Arelus is particular about the people he likes too, so I wouldn't attempt it with him. If in the future I do get a longhair though, I have been thinking about doing therapy dog or there's a program through our local shelter that's called "Tails for Tales" where the dogs (and their person) go to read with kids in I believe it's the children's ward at the hospital or in a group home for disabled kids.

Inkeri

Yep, same here, I had high hopes that Manu would become a therapy dog someday, but he is also very particular about the people he likes. My friend has a wirehair who has passed the test and would qualify, but my friend doesn't have the time to do the therapy right now. :)
We're doing the helping as tracking dog, maybe finding lost pets someday. :) Manu loves tracking and esp. finding dog-mates. ;)

jax's_mommy

Mine isn't either, but I think Jax is still to young :p
But I think he would do good for it. He loves meeting new people, hasn't met a someone he doesn't like yet.

gmcdragster83

The only way that i think it would work out well is if you socialized the dog with a lot of people when they are young. Doxies tend to be territorial and real possessive of their owners. That is one of the reasons I love them so much. I live in the country and they let me know when someone comes to visit. Luckily they tend not to be aggressive but they sure put on a show.