question

Penny

Minis are much more available than standards. It was a long time before I even saw a standard, and it was at a dog show.

Our son had a minnie (actually a tweenie), and I discovered I wasn't allergic to the dog. I'm not sure we even knew about size differences until we bought PD. We got our second Doxie, Henry, to keep PD company. At the time we wanted another tweenie. Henry grew up to be a small standard. After Henry died, we found Frank in a shelter and fell in love with him. He just happened to be a minnie.

So basically, there was no "deciding" for us, as far as size goes.

LBandGauge

We choose a mini because Standards seem to have more back problems due to their length. Mini's usually have a better temperament than the standards.

vizzla

We have 3 sizes in sweden. We thought that standards are more "dog-like" in their apperence. The way they look, move and they dont seem as fragile as the smallest dachsies.

I dont think dachshunds are supposed to be as tiny as some seem to be. They are after all a hunting dog.

Our second dog is a rescue and not a concidered choise. We got him on an impuls :) He is the middle size, almost a standard.

vizzla

We choose a mini because Standards seem to have more back problems due to their length. Mini's usually have a better temperament than the standards.
The size have nothing to do with backproblems. Its the dwarfism (short legs) that causes fragile discs. In sweden the smallest dachshunds are more exposed to backproblems.
Bad breeding since it has some hereditary.. :)

Inkeri

We have 3 sizes in sweden. We thought that standards are more "dog-like" in their apperence. The way they look, move and they dont seem as fragile as the smallest dachsies.
This is why I have a standard as well. :)

Doxmom

And I'd have to add, Bree chose me, not the other way around!! I like his size, though - 11.2 lbs. He's not so fragile as the tiny ones but still travel-sized!;)