Puppy Comes Home Tomorrow!

love'laska

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum ever since I put my deposit down on a mini red-colored short-haired dachshund (about a month ago)! I figured that since the puppy comes home tomorrow that it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Emily and I'm a 19-year-old sophomore in university in Chicago, IL. Growing up, I always was surrounded by animals. Since moving to college, this is the fist time in my life I haven't had a pet. I've never owned a dachshund before, but my uncle had 4 of them when I was younger, so I'm used to being around them.

I've been thinking about getting a dachshund for ages now, and originally was going to get my first pup next summer, but I recently was diagnosed with anxiety disorder and PTSD and my therapist believed getting a dog now would be very beneficial to me. My puppy is coming home as an emotional support animal and this morning I got verification that she has been registered with my university to live with me in the dormitories, which are typically no-pets.

I'm driving about six hours tomorrow morning to pick up my pup, and then we're driving to Michigan to spend time with my folks for a week before I move back on campus. I've been preparing for her to come home for quite a while now and have two toy boxes full of dog supplies (one for toys and one for food/health/grooming/cleaning/training products), as well as a small wire crate, a small travel crate, an x-pen, and a dog bed. I also have two sets of collars, harnesses, and leads.

So far, I've gotten a lot of skepticism from my peers who believe I'm not capable of raising a puppy while in school, but I've rearranged my class schedule so I'm taking a minimum amount of classes and my pup will never be alone for more than 2 hours at a time. I've also already prepared a feeding, exercise, and training schedule (it's very flexible at the moment because I realize my puppy's needs may be different than what I'm preparing for). I'm planing to train her with all positive-reinforcement methods.

I've named her Alaska and I can't wait to bring her into my life tomorrow. I'm really thinking this is going to be an incredibly positive change for my life.

This post got way longer than I intended, I'm just incredibly excited to become a part of this community after lurking around for so long.

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK.

I am not surprised you are excited it sounds as though you have given this plenty of thought so I do hope everything works well for you.

P.S My brother lives in Michigan and I have visited and loved Chicago, good luck with your studies as well.

crystalclear1027

It's sounds as though you are fully prepared for this pup. She will certainly bring a lot of love with her because dachshunds are loyal and they are a great companion dog. This is a positive move for you and wishing good luck with her. We are all here to lend an ear. Welcome from Pennsylvania and looking forward to see pictures from growing puppy.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome from Canada! Doxies are amazing companions. A good choice for an emotional support animal, imo. I have 2 double dapple shorthair minis both deaf with varying degrees of visual impairments. They are fantastic dogs. Enjoy your baby!

sherlock

Welcome from Texas!

It sounds like you've got a great plan already in place, which is super important in bringing home your pup (obviously.) It's also really cool that you can take her to the dorms! I've heard that more schools have been moving toward being emotional-support-animal-friendly, and even just pet-friendly in some places. I suffer from anxiety too, as well as depression with bipolar tendencies...I think I probably would have done a lot better in school the two years I was in the dorms if I had been able to have a dog or cat with me.

Good luck on your drive to go get your girl tomorrow, and I look forward to lots of pictures and posts as you get to know each other and go off to school!

love'laska

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone! You're all so welcoming! :) I definitely feel like I have a good grasp on everything, but of course I'm still a tad nervous.

I'll make sure to get pictures posted within the next couple weeks.