Problem nighttime barking has me at wit's end!

sherlock

I know I posted about this a while ago, but he's going to drive me crazy. I usually stay up pretty late (3-4am, lately) and anytime I leave the living room, to go to the bathroom or outside to smoke, he starts barking! No matter how many times I tell him to hush, or squirt him with a water bottle, or even give him a spanking (just a light swat on the rear to get his attention, please don't think I beat my dog!) it doesn't help. It's gotten to the point that I let him out of his crate to go outside with me, because I don't want him waking my boyfriend or our roommate. The problem with that is that I know it's reinforcing his behavior...he starts barking, and then I let him out. He gets what he wants, which is really probably only making the situation worse.

I've tried just ignoring him, but it's usually a few minutes before he quiets down, and again, I don't want him waking anyone up.

Does anyone have any advice??

Inkeri

Have you tried anti-bark collar? We have this for Manu:
http://www.petsafe.net/intl/fi/downloads/400-1403-46

We had to buy that because he has started barking at neighbours when he's home alone. It has worked really well. He got the point after just a few sprays on the nose. :)

Of course, this doesn't take away the real problem, but at least he doesn't wake up anybody and you can praise him when he's quiet and nice.

vizzla

Oh please dont use anti-bark collars!

I know where they have gone terribly wrong! You have no idea WHAT the dog thinks he is beeing punisched for! If the dog is focusing on something that the dog feels good about (barking at a tree or cat or dog) and suddently it sprays them or vibrate they can take it as the thing they barked at is bad and scary! And that can actually create more problems. Like the dog beeing scared for water (As I know one dog became. He run towards the waterbowl and was happy barking - swish - whatersplash and the dog never drank again)...

vizzla

I believe it can be the crate. I would not hace my dog in a crate at night. Let him be in the same room with you so he can go where you go. Is he scared of the dark? Our doggies are :) The bark a lot at evening, at any sound they wouldnt bark at at daylight...

Good luck
:)

Last edited:

Penny

Have him outside of the kennel and kennel him when you're ready for bed. I know being quiet in the kennel is the better thing. If someone has a way to get them to be quiet I'm happy to find out how. When my husband goes upstairs and comes down later, Georgia always barks like crazy to announce his arrival. Wakes up the seniors when everyone was laying down quietly. Sheesh. He lives here and never left the house. lol

sherlock

Does he respond the the "hush" command and your other methods under other circumstances?
Sometimes. If he's barking for no reason, yes. If he's barking at a noise (knock at the door, people talking loudly outside, etc) not really. I haven't found a solution for those, either.

vizzla

Have him outside of the kennel and kennel him when you're ready for bed. I know being quiet in the kennel is the better thing. If someone has a way to get them to be quiet I'm happy to find out how. When my husband goes upstairs and comes down later, Georgia always barks like crazy to announce his arrival. Wakes up the seniors when everyone was laying down quietly. Sheesh. He lives here and never left the house. lol
Doxies just loves when you come home, even if you just was right there! :)

amparra

Sometimes. If he's barking for no reason, yes. If he's barking at a noise (knock at the door, people talking loudly outside, etc) not really. I haven't found a solution for those, either.
When you say "hush" and he continues barking do you just keep saying it over and over again?

The reason I ask is because if this is the case then he knows that you are just saying "hush, hush, hush" and aren't gonna do anything about it. The spray bottle is good but its not a strong aversive for him when he gets that riled up barking.

Here is what I do:
I only say "QUIET" one time. If she barks again, I quickly but gently grab her muzzle and sternly repeat the command. If she keeps doing it, I keep doing it. She doesn't like it and will usually stop right away. I rarely have to physically correct any more, a stern NO and look usually does the trick.

I also try to pre-empt the barking. I can usually tell when she's heard something that she is going to bark at. When I see this happening I work on some attention getting techniques to get her focus on me instead of whatever she is going to bark at and then I praise her and treat her for being quiet.

I don't know if that will work for your exact situation but it has helped me with barking in general.