On The Road Again!

Doxmom

Hi, All~

Was wondering how many of you are traveling or have traveled with your doxie. As a rule, are they good travelers? We're planning car trip of several hours to Tampa, Florida and of course, I want to take Bree along. What should I know before heading out?:confused:

Our pekingese were great travelers. They were always excited to go and really good with 'pit stops' and long distances.

Any advice appreciated!

Inkeri

Both my dogs love travelling. :) Esp. Manu, he loves sleeping in the car. My parents live 650km away from us, so we do quite a lot of long distance travelling. I think you should already start training car rides with Bree. Take him with you where ever you go, esp the short trips so that he gets used to being in the car.
And of course, keep the safety in mind and get a crate or a car harness for him. :)

Our dogs love to go with us on trips. At least once they are sure we are not stopping at the Vets for anals & nails.

We are not safe drivers when it comes to road trips with the dogs. They like to sit in our laps and make nose art on the side windows, and then they will nap. Occasionally a scent will catch their attention, and they will focus their noses on the a/c ducts.

Cows, horses, and dead things are their favorites.

Doxmom

Thanks, Both..

Yes, Bree is very nervous in the car, but getting better. The first few times I took him, he was shaking like a leaf, literally. Association with vet, I'm sure.

Taking him on short trips around town is a great idea. I really want him to enjoy traveling. And I'll try to resist the urge to put him on my lap, Wandering Man - although it is tempting!!:cool:

Aly's Mom

Aly, is somewhat of a baby during the first few minutes of a car ride. Shakes no matter what. But after about 5 minutes or so, she calms down and lays down and falls asleep. We try and take her on short trips if we are going to grab a quick bite through drive thru, or something so that she gets use to going in the car and not only to the vet. She was in puppy class, so that was fun for her. That drive was always about a 30 min trip each way and she would do fine. We even took her to Tucson a couple of times, which is about a 2 hour trip there.
Good Luck!! :)

nola

Nola loves the car, and is phenomenally in it. She sits in the back, all buckled up. She's been on several 14 hour car rides (from FL to VA) and was fine.

Lots of exercise beforehand, and a bully stick are good for longer trips.