New owners from Colorado!

Ajraffa

New Owner
Hi all!

My name is Alina! My boyfriend Jeff and I are bringing home our new baby this Saturday the 22nd of February. Both of us have had dogs, and I raise tarantulas so we've had some pet experience. Doxies are different though and we are trying to educate ourselves to be the best pet parents possible!

In August 2012 an arsonist set fire to my apartment building and I was forced to jump from the 4th floor (45 feet) to the concrete. I broke both my feet and my back very badly. I'm largely recovered outside of pain, but my left foot will be forever smashed up. I am having my 7th surgery in April. It has been a long and tough road but being handicapped at age 23 has taught me incredible patience, which I hope will allow me to be a better trainer.
My legs are still very weak and I struggle to walk for very long, so I am utilizing our new pup as motivation to get out there and walk the park and strengthen my ankles!

I hope to get to know all of you and will keep you updated on our new little girl!

Alina

PS I included my news story, for those interested
Woman survives apartment fire by leaping out 4th story window | 9news.com

Nell

Hi Alina and welcome from the UK!

I am very sorry to hear about your accident but it sounds as though you have come along way and done so well so far.

A new dachshund! how exciting, they really are the best dogs ever, real characters with loads of personality, you have some fun times ahead!

I have a dachshund x border terrier (3yrs) a smooth haired dachshund girl (13 months) and a wire hair dachshund girl (12 weeks).

One word of advice! they are VERY addictive!!!

Would love to hear more about your puppy and I hope you really enjoy the forum.

Ajraffa

New Owner
How funny I was just reading one of your threads!

Nice meeting you! Thank you for taking the time to read my thread!

crystalclear1027

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania!!!! Congratulations on your new pup!!!! Glad to hear your life was spared and eventually someday you can overcome and heal your bones. I think a new pup is good medicine to keep you going!!!

Penny

I am so sorry for the ordeal that you've gone through. We wish you all the best as you patiently move forward and deal with this daily.

My doxies find walks kind of slow for exercise so we exercise them by putting them behind a door and hiding the ball in the house. They love to hunt and it exercises their minds and muscles at the same time. And it doesn't matter what the weather is outside! Mine will also chase a beach ball in the back yard, so there's ways to get them exercised without demanding too much from you.

Many folks use a cordless dremel and sanding drum to do nails. You might want to check into that. I haven't used a clipper in years.
Dremeled nails can be rounded to they aren't sharp on your skin and you can stop more easily at the right spot rather than the guilletene action of the clippers..

Here's a 13 second video of releasing the hounds to find the ball in the house. They seem to like the activity. lol
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5otFttVdwNc]Find the ball! - YouTube[/ame]

Best wishes.

Penny

I should add too that the kindest thing you can teach your dachshund is to be crate trained and be peaceful in the crate. Many dachshunds have at some time in their lives a back injury and the course of treatment is to be kenneled for weeks. If they know how to be quiet in their crates, this makes the ordeal much easier on them and you. It's also safer to strap a kennel down in your vehicle when you take them out somewhere.

Ajraffa

New Owner
Is there less risk of catching the nailquick when using a dremel? I've had chihuahuas in the past and they always had clear nails, so the thought of cutting black nails terrifies me!

Luckily I think the breeder has the puppies pretty crate trained but that is also my intention. I'd like to crate her at night, I am up and down all night with pain and I think I'd just be disturbing her all the time.
For car travel I had thought about this (link attached) so she can see out the window. Thoughts?
Pet Booster Seat Deal of the Day | Groupon

Penny

The more experience you get with the dremel, the better you'll be. I can stop at the quick and when I look 15 seconds later, I might see a tiny bit of blood oozing through, so I'm right there. There is certainly no yelping when I'm using the dremel.

Ajraffa

New Owner
Here's the new baby! Olli (Olive) is 4 months old and a female longhair mini dachshund. (I've edited this post like 80 times, sorry)
Her preferred car ride is in my hood. She crawls up there every time.

Sleepin' hard on Jeff's lap

First picking her up

Her favorite way to be held, with her head on your shoulder

Last edited:

Barron

Welcome

I am so sorry about all you have been through. Your new puppy is adorable, and should certainly give motivation. My dogs are getting old, and I do miss the puppy days. What fun you have ahead. Keep smiling

Ajraffa

New Owner
We are definitely struggling with separation anxiety! She's starting to bark when not paid attention to, and I don't know what to do! Even if she's out of her pen and cruising around, if I'm in the kitchen she starts to whine and do the shrill bark

crystalclear1027

It takes time to get use to her new surroundings!, play with her, roll a ball and teach her to give the paw.. everything will fall into place.