New Owner

Agatha

Hi i have just got my first Dachshund, she is 8 weeks old. We have lots of dog experience but not Dachshund experience! I am at home most of the time but will have to leave her sometimes. I have started by leaving her for just 10 minutes at a time and returning to her when quiet, my question is am I doing the right thing? When I leave her she makes a huge noise, more like a scream really, and does not really stop - i really think she could go on forever! She follows us everywhere and wants to be with us all the time, which I dont really mind, but I do want to be able to leave her for a bit !

Any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks

Nell

Hi and welcome from Hertfordshire!

Welcome to the world of dachshunds!! this is VERY common, mine follow me everywhere.....and I do mean everywhere lol! They are such a loyal and faithful dog and sooo much fun.

Don't worry you will get her used to being left but they would always prefer to be with you, this is part of their charm. Sounds like you are doing great, its up to you to set the boundaries though as they are strong willed and VERY clever.

Enjoy your new baby, is she short hair / wire or long? It would be good to see some photos!

crystalclear1027

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania!!!! Our two doxies do the same thing, even when your in the shower, there they are waiting in the bathroom with you, they are such loyal dogs and give back a 100 percent. As they get older, it eases up just a little.

Penny

Congrats on your new baby! Of course we need pics and don't be shy! We enjoy puppy fixes!

I've never had a puppy but I think it would be nice to sit beside the kennel with a book and have her in the kennel with the door open, and have her there until she relaxes. That's practicing her relaxing in the kennel. Then close the door for a bit, and continue reading and open the door when she's relaxed.

Kennel treatment is *very* important for dachshunds. It's great for potty training, keeping them out of trouble when needed, and especially for the future if she should hurt her back. The remedy is crate rest, and if they can be relaxed in the crate, you've done them a great kindness.

Agatha

hello all and thank you for the helpful replies, in fact I thought i had replied but obviously hadnt!! apologies. Agatha has settled down very well and we can now leave her sleeping downstairs with our Border Terrier they are firm friends and she likes to sleep on top of him. I have no previous experience of Dachshunds but they do seem to be very clever, wilful and full of energy!!! not lap dogs.

We have completed our puppy class and Agatha whilst enjoying it did not really want to interact with the other dogs, she is quite timid with dogs when we are out - she barks first and sort of darts back and forth she sniffs them a bit and then does not want anything else to do with them, often giving a final bark as we walk away?? is this a Dachshund thing? also she seems much happier on the lead - today i let her off and a very nice small dog came over to play and she starting a very high pitched yelping noise and he was feet away from her she then turned and fled! but once back on the lead and next to me was cautiously curious - I guest it is just a confidence thing that needs building up? any help appreciated.

Penny

I have found that dachsies seem to be most comfortable with other dachsies. You might like to check around your area and see if there is a dachshund meet up or a small breed meet up. We have meet ups here, indoors in the winter, 'wiener walks' in the summer, and one big annual event that has costumes, prizes, activities. If you have friends with calm dogs that will be a good experience for her, it would be good to give her that exposure. Of course when she's old enough and had her vaccines.

Are there some pics coming of the cutie? We won't get tired of seeing them. lol

Hunter's Parade

Congrats and welcome!
You doing the right thing.Come back in only when she stoped screaming,even if it's for few seconds.
For I while I don't let them to follow me,just to show me that I go and come,go and come,but no mather how long I'm away I always come back.So at some point they are just "whatever" about not be able to come with me.But they would love to follow everywhere.