New owner of Aldous, an 8 wk old Reverse Dapple boy.

luvmydoxie

We just adopted him last Sunday. He is absolutely beautiful and I am in love with him already. Since I am a new mini doxie owner, I have a few issues going on:

1. He does not want to eat out of a bowl. He eats off of the floor. Any suggestions?

2. I put a collar on him for the first time today. All he does is scratch now. Is this normal? When can I start to use a leash?

3. Any and all tips on potty training will help. We work from home and take him out every hour. He usually goes but there are times where he will go in the house just after being outside.

MatthewLP

1. He does not want to eat out of a bowl. He eats off of the floor. Any suggestions?

2. I put a collar on him for the first time today. All he does is scratch now. Is this normal? When can I start to use a leash?

3. Any and all tips on potty training will help. We work from home and take him out every hour. He usually goes but there are times where he will go in the house just after being outside.
Welcome New Doxie Owner.

If this is you first time having a Doxie there are a few words of wisdom a few of us to pass on. and the biggest one I can think of.... "Nothing is set in stone when it comes to Dachshunds"

at 8 weeks I wouldn't expect to much. However scratching is pretty much normal at first. However digging at the skin or rubbing its self raw is quite different. I think its great you are starting this right away to allow time for your doxie to get accustomed to having a collar on him, ID tags, rabies vaccine tags ect.

And I'll say the same thing about the leash, sooner the better. Don't expect to much at first. Put it on them and let them drag it around. Let them know its nothing to fear or harm, but to be expected.

Dachshunds LOVE to have short term memory so be "persistent and consistent".

Is it taking the food out of the bowl and eating it on the floor? I think that part is normal enough. If your doxie does not want to pick up the food out on the bowl and you have the poor it on the floor then yeah that might be a slight problem.
1: Is the bowl to deep or to small. There little whiskers are touchy.
2: If you use treats, put one if the bowl that your doxie is willing to get it.
3: Be persistent. Bad habits for Doxies happen quickly. Don't give up and limit their choices.

And lastly potty training.

If you didn't know Dachshunds are not easy to potty train and I consider it rather difficult for some new Dachshund owners. And yes taking them outside, coming back in and potty on the floor is pretty Dachshund typical. I'm not saying its tolerated or allowed but not uncommon.

I use Time Training for potty training for all my Doxies and find it to be quite effective for them. "However not always convenient for the owners"

I think every hour for an 8 week is to long, especially if they drink water right after coming back in an hour maybe asking to much out of them for now. Their bladder is not fully developed at this stage of development.

There are wonderful people around here and excellent advice.

Let us know if we can help further.

Matthew Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo.}

Last edited:

Penny

I've never had a puppy but I just wanted to say Hello and Welcome!
I've heard 'Dachshunds for Dummies' is a good read if you'd like to pick it up.
Can't wait to see some pics and hear about the mischief he gets into!

mariethebee

Congrats on your new baby:) I am getting a black and tan reverse dapple at the end of March. I would love to see pics of you cutie.
Welcome to the forum

luvmydoxie

Welcome New Doxie Owner.

If this is you first time having a Doxie there are a few words of wisdom a few of us to pass on. and the biggest one I can think of.... "Nothing is set in stone when it comes to Dachshunds"

at 8 weeks I wouldn't expect to much. However scratching is pretty much normal at first. However digging at the skin or rubbing its self raw is quite different. I think its great you are starting this right away to allow time for your doxie to get accustomed to having a collar on him, ID tags, rabies vaccine tags ect.

And I'll say the same thing about the leash, sooner the better. Don't expect to much at first. Put it on them and let them drag it around. Let them know its nothing to fear or harm, but to be expected.

Dachshunds LOVE to have short term memory so be "persistent and consistent".

Is it taking the food out of the bowl and eating it on the floor? I think that part is normal enough. If your doxie does not want to pick up the food out on the bowl and you have the poor it on the floor then yeah that might be a slight problem.
1: Is the bowl to deep or to small. There little whiskers are touchy.
2: If you use treats, put one if the bowl that your doxie is willing to get it.
3: Be persistent. Bad habits for Doxies happen quickly. Don't give up and limit their choices.

And lastly potty training.

If you didn't know Dachshunds are not easy to potty train and I consider it rather difficult for some new Dachshund owners. And yes taking them outside, coming back in and potty on the floor is pretty Dachshund typical. I'm not saying its tolerated or allowed but not uncommon.

I use Time Training for potty training for all my Doxies and find it to be quite effective for them. "However not always convenient for the owners"

I think every hour for an 8 week is to long, especially if they drink water right after coming back in an hour maybe asking to much out of them for now. Their bladder is not fully developed at this stage of development.

There are wonderful people around here and excellent advice.

Let us know if we can help further.

Matthew Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo.}
Thank you so very much for the wonderful advice Mathew LP!!

Yesterday, he actually ate out of the bowl. Maybe it was that it was new?

Maybe you are right about the hour. If he drinks water, I usually take him out about every 10-20 minutes. He doesn't poop everytime he eats either. Strange dog. :)

Good idea with the "Time Training". I am a stay at home puppy mom so it should be easier.

MatthewLP

Good, happy to hear it.

Remember give us some pictures. Its's what we live for. :)

Matthew Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo.}

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome! He's absolutely precious! Matthew gave fantastic advice, but I'll add a little to it. it's best, when housetraining a puppy to take him out on a leash, stand in the spot you want and ignore the dog until he goes (after 5 minutes, if he doesn't do anything, take him back in, and limit his freedom, either in a crate or on a leash, attached to you, try again in 20 minutes or so) when he goes, PARTY! (treats, attention, praise, etc) then take him in and allow freedom, for 1/2 hour or so, lengthening the time allowed for freedom as he ages.

Take him out after eating, waking up from a nap, drinking, playing, and then every 1/2 hour in between.

Doxmom

Congrats on your new pup. He is absolutely precious!! You found a forum full of wonderful and wise doxie owners, as you can already see. And yes, we do live for pictures, so post away.

Welcome to the forum! :)