New dog dilemma

Doxie girl

Hi guys,
I have been having a hard time with this and need your Input. We have three dogs. One who was featured on the dog whisperer years ago. He is aggressive to people, except my husband. Long story, but we rescued him nine years ago at three weeks old. Lady took him away from his mom.
So he has to live in his own enclosed area. I have a four year old, so they never come in contact.
I also have two doxies. They are eight. One gets along great with other dogs outside of our household dogs. The other does not.
There is a man down the road that is moving and can't take his dog with him, due to restrictions at the condo. This dog is perfect. Sweet, well behaved. He is five years old.
Husband thought it would be nice if we can take him, since he can't find anyone to take him and doesent want him in a shelter. So we did trial run today. He gets along great with my on doxen, but the other doxen tries to bite him. I had him on a leash so he never did get a chance to bite. But we did the whole introduction as we should. Neutral territory, walk the whole thing. This went on for four hours. He never got comfortable or close enough without trying to bite. He was literally foaming at the mouth, eyes red. That's how stressed he was. He is now fine but, It was so stressful for the dogs and me.
My gut says to not take this new dog. Even though he is the perfect dog. My other dog may never get used to him and then what do I do? I'm an animal lover, but I have to use my head not just my heart...right?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sorry... I hate that man. I had to go and read this again because all I could take in the first time was Cesar lol. I'm assuming your dog that he "helped" is no better?

Anyway, as to your question, your dog could get used to the new dog, but possibly not, and with the issues you already are dealing with, I wouldn't bring a new dog in. Even a well behaved dog will cause more work and stress for the owners.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Penny

Let that dog go to another family.
It's that man's responsibility to find a suitable family for his dog. I don't think you are the family, and your gut is telling you that. He's got to try a lot harder than the neighbor down the street. Geez. Here we have a small dog rescue, we have kijiji, etc. He needs to put in some effort. There is going to be a boy or girl that is going to love that dog to pieces.
That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Doxie girl

Thanks guys for your replies....yes that is how I feel deep in my gut. I think I'm having a hard time cause he reminds me of my first dog. And I don't want him to go to a shelter. But you are right it isn't my responsibility. My dogs that I have are. Ugh, I take everything to heart and feel like I have to help all animals that cross my path. Seriously feeling sick over this.

Doxie girl

Sorry... I hate that man. I had to go and read this again because all I could take in the first time was Cesar lol. I'm assuming your dog that he "helped" is no better?

Anyway, as to your question, your dog could get used to the new dog, but possibly not, and with the issues you already are dealing with, I wouldn't bring a new dog in. Even a well behaved dog will cause more work and stress for the owners.

And yes Cesar did not help my dog. All he did was make him so tired that he wanted to do nothing after it.
He kept saying I treated him like a baby. Which I didn't. If that was the case my other dog would have has major issues as well. And he is a doll!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
You know, a force-free trainer might just be able to help your dog. Don't give up on him :)

Doxie girl

You know, a force-free trainer might just be able to help your dog. Don't give up on him :)

Thanks! I agree we have never gave up on him, I just can't trust him around my little girl. He loves my other dogs and hubby and can tolerate me. :rolleyes:
He has calmed down in his later years. I'm so happy I found this forum!

I'm also a bit nervous cause my little guy is going in on wed to have his teeth cleaned/maybe two removed. He also is having a very small lump removed from his cheek area. Vet said doesent look like anything but should take it out to be safe anyway. She took a needle biopsy of it a few weeks ago. I just can't wait till it's all over.

Penny

Thanks guys for your replies....yes that is how I feel deep in my gut. I think I'm having a hard time cause he reminds me of my first dog. And I don't want him to go to a shelter. But you are right it isn't my responsibility. My dogs that I have are. Ugh, I take everything to heart and feel like I have to help all animals that cross my path. Seriously feeling sick over this.
Don't let him manipulate and use your kind heart. He needs to step up and take care of his own business. If he doesn't want him to go to a shelter, he should make sure he doesn't go to a shelter.

Doxie girl

Thanks guys for all your support...well he found another home on a farm. We told him we couldn't take him. One hurtle down now to make it through wed.

Lupita

I'm glad he found a home for his dog. I totally get your thinking, but we always have to consider the animals we already have.

Off-topic, I am so intrigued about your experience with the Dog Whisperer show. Which dog of yours was featured, if you don't mind me asking? What breed is he?

My Lupi came to us at 4 weeks old, so we had problems with her too. I knew nothing about dogs when we got her and thought Cesar was a god. I'm not sure how much damage I did to her by following his methods, but thankfully I discovered force-free training when she was about 8 months old. She will always be wary of strangers, but is a very well-behaved dog that we can take anywhere. With a ton of positive reinforcement, most people wouldn't even guess that she was once extremely fearful. Lupi is now 6.5 years old.

I understand that you have to be extremely careful because of your 4 year old, but I honestly believe your dog could still be helped to feel more comfortable, at least to some degree. For almost 2 years, Lupi got all her food given as rewards. People walked by the house-food reward. Dog barked nearby-food reward. Bicycle, skateboard or stroller passed us-food reward. She can now be off-leash at dog parks and around cyclists with no reactions. Children can run up to her and pet her and she simply looks at me for her treat. Her emotional reaction has actually been altered by classical conditioning.

I wish you all the best with your 3, and hope nothing serious comes of the biopsy.