My first ever Mini Dachshund arriving in December!

Nocturnelle

Hi everyone,

So I'm new here and as the thread title says, I have a mini doxie arriving mid-December! Hoping that joining this forum will help prepare me for the new arrival. This is my first ever dachshund, I have grown up with dogs but never had experiences with a dachshund. I live in San Francisco. :) Here are some concern/questions:

1) My little puppy will be flying in (my first time also receiving a puppy at the airport.) Does anyone have experiences with this? What to do, not do and what to expect. Also, is it feasible to have the puppy checked by the vet within the next 72 hours of arrival or is that too stressful? Reason I ask is because it has to do with my breeder contract details (if there is a problem, I can only bring it up in 72 hours.)

2) I have read all sorts of information online regarding this - but what is your personal advice on puppy's first day home? Leash and keep it near you? Play? Feed by hand?

3) I live in an apartment on the ground floor. It only leads out to street pavements (no grass) right out the door. Should I housebreak a puppy (that is 9-10 weeks old upon arrival) by walking it outside to potty or have an indoor piddle pad?

4) Any food brand recommendations for a puppy Miniature longhair dachshund?

5) Do Dachshunds require daily supplements/vitamins? Any recommendations if so?

Thanks in advance! :)

babysis

Hello and Welcome! Congrats on getting the new family member! As for your questions I don't know about # 1 because I haven't experienced that before. #2 I would let the puppy get used to the surroundings but have the leash ready if the need arises. Play with the pup. Maybe set an area up to where they can have the food/water. I don't know about feeding by hand unless it is a treat- which since you have had dogs before you know what I am talking about :p #3 I would house break the little one if you are right near streets, it will be easier because sometimes they can get spooked from traffic or noises. # 4 There is so many to list of dog foods I couldn't tell you which one! I have in the past used a brand called evangers. It's a natural dog food that my girl could handle well. Then again all doxie's are different. #5 Your vet would tell you if your dog needed the supplements or what is good for them to have. I don't think they need the supplements. I hope that helps you a bit! Best of luck!!!