Licking vulva excessively

peanuto5

Hi I was wondering if anyone had the same problem, My Lola licks her vulva till a sore appears, I already think she has allergies, and I changed her food, but every time I give her a break from the Elizabethan collar, she goes right down there and starts to lick and bite, and when I put the collar back on it doesn't seem to bother her in the least, I noticed her licking between her toes and I took her to the vet and she's thinking allergies we just don't know what kind,any input would be great .... Thanks in advance. Is she itchy?and if so what can I do for the itch.

Last edited:

Steph

Sounds like she's very itchy. Usually the first signs of food allergy/ sensitivity are little red bumps between the toes and on the belly area, also red itchy, smelly ears. My sister's mastiff also had environmental allergies - meaning that she was allergic to grass/ weeds etc.

For a dog with food allergies you want to avoid corn, wheat, soy, beef and chicken. The beef and chicken nobody thinks of, but because we give them all kinds of growth hormones and such, it creates an allergic reaction in dogs. Look for things that have an exotic protein like fish, venison, bison, duck, wild boar and lamb as a protein source. For carbohydrate sources look at rice, oatmeal and sweet potato.

Good luck!

Doxmom

Peanut,

You've got great advice from Steph. And I don't think your vet is doing enough to help you or your dog. Wouldn't she take a skin scraping to determine what is causing the itch or burning?

Has she (the vet) ruled out a bladder infection? In this day and age of high tech medicine, there are probably many tests that can be done both to isolate the allergy or to get to the root of the problem. How can your vet let you go without any idea of how to help your dog or what is causing the problem?

Last edited: