Introducing myself

Lucky1

Hi! I'm Jessica & I have a standard dachshund named Lucky. She is red & short haired & she weighs about 12 pounds. She turned 2 years old on 9/20. My husband & I got her for our son for his 6th birthday. He wanted a dog since he was four, but my husband & I didn't want a dog. We finally started talking about it and told my son to look at some pictures of small breed dogs & obviously he fell in love with dachshund puppy pictures, so we helped him to learn more about the breed & started looking for a puppy for him. We also made him complete tasks to show he was ready for the responsibility & commitment of being a dog owner before he could get his puppy. When he completed a task he could get an item off of the list of things he needed before he got his puppy. He needed dishes, a leash, a collar, a crate, food, treats, training pads etc. It took him about 9 months to get all of the items he needed, & my husband & I talked to several breeders while our son worked on getting his supplies for his new puppy. We found the breeder that we got our Lucky from & she was going to be ready to go the same weekend as his 6th birthday, so we surprised him at his birthday party with his puppy! It couldn't have worked out any better because Lucky is truly the perfect dog for our family!

Also, my husband & I both had dachshunds when we were kids, so we both were happy that our son liked dachshunds best!

Attachments

Penny

Hi and Welcome from Canada!
We have a red smooth male too, and 2 pie girls.
Looking forward to seeing more pics since you know how to post pics! We got our doxies as adults so we don't have puppy pics. I will enjoy yours. lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome! What an awesome way to get your son a dog! LOVE IT! I have 2 mini's both are deaf and partially blind shorthair double dapples.

Lucky1

Thanks! Your dogs are all so cute! I will have to find some puppy pics of Lucky & post them. I enjoyed seeing her grow up from puppy so much. I have been fortunate enough to be able to be home with her a lot so I am really attached to her even though she's technically my son's dog.

I'm so glad to find this website! I would like to adopt/rescue another dachshund someday, but not until we are sure we could handle it.

crystalclear1027

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania!! That was a great idea to help your son become a responsible pet owner! It sure doesn't take long to get attached to a dachshund.