How much do you feed your mature dachshund?

Wiredhairdog

I have a few dachshunds that are 10-15 years old? I'm curious to know how much dog food you feed your doxy and what type of dog food?

I use roughly 1/3 to 2/3 a cup of nutrimax.

MatthewLP

It depends, are you usng a Senior food? That seems to be a good ammount. If you dogs look good for that age, weight appropriate feeding less based on weight and general health.

Some poeple feed regular adult food at 1/3 of a cup, rather than feeding senior food at 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup. Sinior food has less nutrition and protein than regular dog food. However there are more glucosamine in senior dog food to keep them in active health.

I feed based on their personal needs other than a fixed ammount. My Doxie of 16 years old who died last october was on Nutro Choice Senior. My Currently male puppy of 4 months and my adult female of 1 1/2 are on Taste Of the Wild. However I wouldn't consider that dog food appropriate at your dogs age even though it says (For all life stages).

To give you an Example I feed my female Doxie of 1 1/2 years of age 1/3 of a cup. Why She's still extreamly active. However she got a big butt (those breeder hips) and is prone to packing on the pounds. I feed her less food but higher protein and energy food rather then (light or weight controled) food that has less to very little nutritional value.

My senior Doxies have greatly benefited from foods with glucosamine in their food and / or as a seperate supplement at 7 years of age or older.

The best advice I can give is (Feed by need).

Matthew L. Plummer
Kansas City, Mo.

Last edited:

Blazer's Mom

My guy is almost 18 years old....he has "open" food... so he can eat as much as he wants. But I should mention he is only 5lbs 6oz....and we struggle to keep the weight on. We feed Pedigree...although, I don't think it's the best choice.