Hi! I'm new to this forum.

weiselja

I live in Annapolis, MD. I just lost my miniature Doxie girl and my 3-year-old male is devasted (as am I).

Doe anyone have experience with a breeder in Palistine/Jacksonville, Texas, Cherokee Creek Kennels?

Considering a puppy from her.

Janice

Penny

Hi there. I'm curious, if you live in MD, why are you considering a Texas breeder?

Would you be interested in checking out the dachshunds in rescue? The rescues are filled and overflowing. If you rescue one, you make room for another to come into rescue too.

weiselja

Why not rescue????

Why not rescue?
(1) The two rescue organizations I applied to made it far more difficult than it needed to be. The one would not commit to me being the new owner, despite the fact that my male and the girl adoptee met and were great. They also could not arrange for me to get the dog in a week. I realize these are volunteers, but they should be anxious to have somebody jumping through hoops to adopt. However, I have a very specific timeline in order to bring a new puppy into my household. Next Friday is my last day of work on my current contract, and I won't start a new one for two or three weeks. This give the new puppy plenty of time to acclimate while I'm home. It does no one any good to get a new puppy the week I'm going back to work.

(2) The other organization decided that I couldn't have a puppy because I won't be home all day and that my 3-year-old male would steal the puppy's toys and it wouldn't have any defense. C'mon, really? I've raised three very personable, well-trained, and anxiety-free dogs in the past 8 years. Every puppy I get, I stay home with for a few weeks to get it acclimated. Then I have my dog walker come twice a day to let it out. I spend all of my free time with my dogs -- it's a commitment I made when I got my first dog. From the time I get home from work (9 hours later -- I don't go out at night) to the time I leave for work the next morning, I give them my attention. I monitor them and supervise. I teach "leave it" from the first 8 weeks.

So there you have it. This is not the first time I've tried to rescue.

Gee, maybe I shouldn't have adopted Frank. PD steals the toys and won't let Frank play. PD also claims the primo spots on laps and in the bed.

Despite these signs of jealousy on PD's part, the two are getting along well. It took a bit of time to get acclimated, but I believe Frank is a lot happier living in our house than he was in his little kennel at the shelter.

Hayleysmom

Why not rescue?
(1) The two rescue organizations I applied to made it far more difficult than it needed to be. The one would not commit to me being the new owner, despite the fact that my male and the girl adoptee met and were great. They also could not arrange for me to get the dog in a week. I realize these are volunteers, but they should be anxious to have somebody jumping through hoops to adopt. However, I have a very specific timeline in order to bring a new puppy into my household. Next Friday is my last day of work on my current contract, and I won't start a new one for two or three weeks. This give the new puppy plenty of time to acclimate while I'm home. It does no one any good to get a new puppy the week I'm going back to work.

(2) The other organization decided that I couldn't have a puppy because I won't be home all day and that my 3-year-old male would steal the puppy's toys and it wouldn't have any defense. C'mon, really? I've raised three very personable, well-trained, and anxiety-free dogs in the past 8 years. Every puppy I get, I stay home with for a few weeks to get it acclimated. Then I have my dog walker come twice a day to let it out. I spend all of my free time with my dogs -- it's a commitment I made when I got my first dog. From the time I get home from work (9 hours later -- I don't go out at night) to the time I leave for work the next morning, I give them my attention. I monitor them and supervise. I teach "leave it" from the first 8 weeks.

So there you have it. This is not the first time I've tried to rescue.
Your schedule and the way you have everything set up is great. One reason why I don't look at rescues is for this very reason, they make you go through so much and in the end find reasons not to adopt. I would think with your history here they'd be willing to adopt a pup out to you. Such a shame.

I guess it depends on the shelter.

We rescued Frank from a shelter in Victoria, TX. I saw him on the internet. A generic rescue site that had dogs from the Victoria shelter mixed in from other shelters.

Frank had been found on the streets and was apparently on his own for while. He was skin and bones. I am grateful to the man who found him, and grateful for the shelter that took him in.

Adoption was painless for me. Maybe not so much for Frank, since they neutered him and injected a tracking chip. For my part, I just had to fill out the paper work, and pay a relatively small fee.

Frank has told me in his own ways that he is glad I made the effort to track him down, complete the paper work, and pay the fees.

After almost a year, PD has decided I did the right thing, too.

amparra

Does not seem very reputable. They breed chihuahuas, dachshunds, papillons, AND pomeranians all advertised through a variety of commercial puppy sites and they SHIP dogs all over the country. HUGE red flags.

I get that you have an ideal time you want to get your puppy because you will be home but getting a puppy is something that you should take your time. Take the time to research reputable breeders even if it doesn't fall into your ideal schedule.

babysis

Welcome! Sorry about losing your girl. I had two doxies Baby and Marley- found out Marley was extremely sick and had no choice but to be put down (only 5y). I wish I could tell you about the breeders in the area's you mentioned but I honestly don't know.

I think it's different for anyone looking for a doxie and their locations. Back when my (late) grandmother purchased Baby, we did not buy her in Washington State. We went out of state- by choice. It's a preference. Best decision ever made. It's not the location that matters it's how the breeders are.