hi i am new here

monika62

Hi my name is Monika and I have two dachshunds and one of them is really driving me crazy. I am trying so hard to do the right thing he just keeps doing things when I am not looking and I have had him for 14 months I am home with him almost everyday. He pees in every corner of the house when I am not looking he pees on the coffee table when I am not in the room, he chews things and pees on computers, playstation remotes, bibles, the bed while i am sleeping, he gets on the dining room table, takes things off, drinks my coffee out of the cup. My other dachshund is so compliant I mean I have had other dogs all my life and I have never ever experienced this. He growls and bites me, for a few days he is great and I am so happy, I think good he is finally learning, but then he just starts doing it again. His bark is so loud that you can hear it 3 blocks away. When I put a muzzle on him for 40 minutes he tries to rub it off and his nose is bloody. This is only after 40 minutes. when ever I tell people they think i am a bad owner. My friends that come over say I need to take him to a pound, I have a nice new house and the odor of urine is everywhere even though I constantly carpet clean. They both have a nice yard I let them outside. I do not want to take him to the pound, I really want to fix this problem. please please help me. I am very depressed about this.

Sorry to hear about the stress you are going through.

Go through some of the other threads here, your story is not totally unique, and there are techniques that can help. I'm not the expert to guide you, but I have heard that one effective way to begin training a wayward doxie is to start with leashing him to you.

I'm sure the two of you will start to figure things out as he matures and you both get to know each other better.

There are better times ahead of you.

MatthewLP

Wandering Man,

I was just about to say leash him to you so thank you for that.

So lets deal with some facts first.

No pound will ever fix what you can do yourself. Long term doxie owners who's had several doxies never know what's "under the hood" so to speak. However your experiences are not uncommon to the dachshund breed. and the Hiking his leg is not uncommon to male dogs generally speaking. What I can say is there is always a underline cause that provoke this type of behavior.

a few questions, How many dogs do you have. Just the 2? Male and Female or 2 males? Have you moved? new house? added children or new spouse. Anything life altering?

Both Dogs been spayed or neutered? are there any New dogs in your area that wasn't their. or more so next door neighbor dog or is a male or female.

What is the age of your other doxie? You said 14 months for the male what about the other?

If the Muzzle is not working to the point its hurting the doxie and his behavior I would stop using it. more than likely leading to the aggressive behavior and giving a negative reinforcement than a positive one.

There is a Difference between urinating and marking. If he relieves all his bladder that's urinating. If he Lifts his leg and sprinkles little left over pee that's Marking. and I would highly suggest getting him neutered. At 14 months he is ready to take on the world, find a mate, compete with other dogs and fight for territory. Listening to you is the least on his mind. And if there is other dogs around he's making sure EVERYONE knows that's his, and you need to have him neutered. You will still be left with the behavioral issues afterwards however much easy to deal with and control.

Let me guess when you get on him or say no or swat at him. He barks and thinks its a funny joke or runs away and acts like a little pistol not waiting to listen with that high pitched bark. He's in the prime of his life and he knows it and acting out.

I use Leash Training as well. My 4 almost 5 month year old male is undergoing leash training at the moment. He doesn't want to come when called and runs and then wants to bark at me like it's some funny game or joke. Granted I do find it funny at times (Like come hear you little shit and laugh about it) but I know it's a learned behavior and I cannot allow that to continue or I'll be asking for trouble. I use positive reinforcements when I call him but use the leash training as the dominate role to keep control of the situation.

I've been noticing now as of Late. When my Female Doxie Pee's he come right over and hikes his leg and Pee over heir's . a clear sign of Hiking and Marking. When his Pee's Regular he squats. He has not hiked his leg on any furniture "yet" but I am watching closely. The moment I see any change in hiking his leg on furniture or male aggression "Snip Snip" His appointment is already set I'm just watching until I think he's ready to be neutered.

Anyways thats my little tid bit. let us know if we can help further. Anyways good people around here and lots of helpful info.

Matthew L. Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo.}

Last edited: