Hi from Canada!

ClubCharlie

Hey everyone!

I'm Sarah -- mom to my 2-year old fur-baby, Charlie!

Charlie is a short-haired, mini-dachshund - and he is the absolute love of my life.
I am single with no children - so my days are devoted to my special, little guy when I'm not at work.

I recently purchased a camping trailer, which I've parked at a local campsite, so Charlie will soon become a camper as well! He just received his final lepto and lyme shots -- so this upcoming weekend will be his first real camping experience!

He is the best little guy and a great lapdog. When I'm fortunate enough to work from home on my computer, he assumes the position on my lap. I forget about my legs that fall asleep, or my arm that goes numb from him resting his head on it --- that's where he likes to be, so I like him there :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you through this forum!

Feel free to drop me a message anytime!

Sarah

Penny

Hi Sarah! Welcome!
Looking forward to hearing about Charlie and maybe seeing more photos.

ClubCharlie

I would definitely love to post more photos!
In the meantime... (since I'm at work and only have a select few on this computer ... shhh... I'm working hard lol)

Charlie and me earlier this year.

And Charlie in his pool last summer! He LOVES the water and his toy balls :)

Penny

He's got a very handsome face!
Our red boy loves his orange street hockey ball. If you haven't tried one, you might like that it doesn't have the fuzz. lol There are 2 kinds, one is a bit squeezie, the other is not. We like the squeezie ones, and they don't open up like a tennis ball does. Doesn't have the same bounce as a tennis ball, but that's OK for what we like them for.

ClubCharlie

Oh great suggestion!
So far we've used the plastic squeaky ones from PetSmart - and the regular ol' fuzzy tennis balls.
Charlie literally goes NUTS over his balls lol ....
He does love to tear them apart -- luckily, he doesn't ingest them -- just flings em all around the yard and house.
Our other dogs, unfortunately, DO like to eat them -- so we have to be right on top of them during playtime.
But I'm thinking of trying out the street hockey ball suggestion! Seems perfect - plus, if they DID manage to tear it apart, I'm guessing it will be easy to find in grass lol

Penny

They haven't torn them apart yet. They have gotten the ball shoved to their back teeth and punctured them and when that happens, I throw it out. I don't trust them to leave the ball just laying around for them to chew on. It goes up when we don't play with it.

Since our winters are so long, we hide the ball in the house and have them hunt for it. I know the nicer weather is here but I think your guy will love the hunt too. It makes them think hard and we like to challenge their brains too. lol

I took a very short video of 'releasing the hounds' to find the ball. 14 seconds. You can see how they can burn off some energy..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSMjRxGUlM]Hide the ball - YouTube[/ame]

Hiding the ball....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JL3EkxWIN0]Game: Hide the Ball - YouTube[/ame]

With 3 dogs, they work hard to get ahead of the other 2. Hope you enjoyed those.

ClubCharlie

HAHAH! I am sitting here at work with the biggest, stupidest grin on my face!
I loved those videos! LoL
I'm SO trying the hide-a-ball game with Charlie!

Right now, I build him forts on my bed LoL. I take his dog bed, and dog "tent", and drape blankets over pillows to create a "cave". And then I'll take his toys and hide them all about there. And he loves that! I always thought that he loves it because it appeases his natural instinct to dig and hunt. I could be wrong lol, but he loves it.

Tonight though - we're playing hide-a-ball :) LoL

Penny

Well the little tents on the bed can travel to all parts of the house now. lol
We have blankets on everything to make hidie holes. So looking forward to hearing how he does, and that he got tired. (OK, that won't happen. lol) They are a natural for this game.

Here's the stool to get up on the couch. Blanket. lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome to the forum! I'm also in Canada, though the other side of the country from you :)

I also have ball loving dogs, though my terrier is the only ball crazy one! LOL I have the chuck-it ultra balls, which are the best balls I have ever seen! They're squishy, they float and are bright orange. Oliver, my 35lb terrier has had the same 4 for 4 years, and even though he chomps on them constantly, he hasn't managed to wreck even one!

Oliver and his ball

Mouse and Ollie's ball :)

ClubCharlie

Hahah! Those are such great pictures!
I especially love the teeth-bared, dripping wet one!

And thanks for the welcome ... from the other side of Canada :)

Penny

If you have a fenced area, you might like trying a beach ball. I'm all for getting them tired, can you tell?

ClubCharlie

Actually - I'm glad you brought that up.

Our neighbours have a boxer who loves beach balls, so their backyard is littered with them.

Charlie can see these balls through our fence, and goes nuts wanting to play with them.

I've wanted to get him one, but I'm always concerned because of dachshund back issues, that he may jump on it and bend his back the wrong way, etc. because it's bigger.

Ever have any issues like that? Or worries?

... or am I just being paranoid? LoL

Penny

I think the big beach balls are fine. Georgia did have a back issue in Feb, but there was no back yard beach ball time in Feb. I think Engli is the only one that can hop over the top of it. !!! But it's a smaller ball. We keep ours well inflated and their toe nails are somewhat short and rounded with a dremel, so no worries there. If they trap the ball in a corner I lift it up and throw it back in play. I love giving them the exercise and their core muscles help to support that long back. I can't wait to see photos or video when your guy gets his own beach ball! That will be quite a scene. lol

Engli going over, at 12.5 yrs old. Crickey, she's like a dancer. The other 2 can't do this.

nola

Hi and welcome! What a cutie. :D

One of my girl's favorite toys is a basketball and her massive tennis ball.::rolleyes::)

And just because I love showing her off:p:

sherlock

Oh what a cutie!!!

My Dr. Watson also loves balls - especially squeaky ones (and especially when I'm on the phone or doing anything else when squeaking is annoying, haha!)

The best ones I've found is the Hartz Dura Play ball...I don't know if those are offered in Canada or only in the states. The only problem is that they're really popular, but my local store sells out quickly and then takes months to restock! It's the worst!

ClubCharlie

Oh thanks for the tip! I've never even heard of them - so I'll definitely keep my eye open when pet shopping :)

And you know ... Mr. Charlie is having a birthday coming up in August -- which means, of course, time for me to spoil him some more lol