Hi everyone

number2

Just wanted to write and say hello to all of you fellow Doxie owners. :)

My wife and I are the "owners" of two dachshunds - a tweenie, Sarah, and a mini, Oliver. Sarah is a rescue dog - we are not sure how old she is but we guess about 7, and Oliver, who is 3. They are both black and tan silver dapples.

My name is number2, and my wife, who is not on the board here, is number1. We call each other that because the mini has a strict German style personality - he seems to think he is the boss. My wife seems to have the most favor with him, and I the second, hence our nicknames. :)

Last winter, a couple weeks before Christmas, Oliver became paralyzed because of back issues. After months of crate rest and medication, he was able to walk again. I'll follow up and share the story as hope for anyone who has had to go through that ordeal, and based on what I've read, is quite common.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

-number2

crystalclear1027

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania!!! Glad to hear your pup is doing well. We lost Tango in November 2012 to this problem. We have a mini black, tan and brindle boy who just turned one in September, his name is Augie, and a mini dapple girl who will be one in December, her name is Lily.

Penny

Hi and Welcome from Canada!
Our Georgia lost her back end in Feb and with crate rest and meds, she too is back to her old self. Glad you had success with Oliver. We dodged a bullet there, didn't we?

Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing more about your family.
(number 2. Makes me think of Jean Luc Picard and his number 1. lol Number 2. Very funny. lol)

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

So sorry to hear Oliver has had problems and so glad he has managed to recover. It is always very inspiring to hear the bad news stories that come right in the end. It is such a horrible time when your little one is unwell, you feel so helpless and would do anything to make it better for them.

Would love to see some photos?

number2

@crystalclear1027:

Hello back to you here in Minnesota! Real sorry to hear about Tango, we were close to that outcome ourselves...real cute pic of your dogs!

@Penny:

Yeah we sure did dodge a bullet indeed! There was no way we could afford the surgery. They said that since Oliver had problems in a few points on his back that the surgery would run from 5000-8000! Whew!

Haha, actually, it does come from Star Trek. My wife is a Trekkie...went to the convention in Las Vegas once, and our den has pics of Spock, Picard, Kirk, etc. We originally called her number 1 for Oliver from the Number 1 on ST. Then, from there, I got number 2. lol

@Nell:

Hello and thanks for the welcome! I will grab some pics of Oliver and Sarah this weekend and get them uploaded. You're signature is right on - these dogs are addictive! I didn't care for them until my wife brought Oliver home and then I was hooked. O is such a great snuggler, and has such a large personality. Amazing...

Cruzer's Mom

It is wonderful to hear the stories of the fur babies that make a recovery! My husband is so down right now because our Cruzer is on crate rest. He does not see the end as being positive but I keep reading him the success stories and it gives us both hope.

Penny

Here's Georgia who couldn't use her back end in Feb. Ask your husband to hum a happy tune and keep things upbeat, as best as he can.

And the red fella on the left had a back episode some years back and here he is at 11 yrs old, with Georgia this summer...

All the best wishes to Cruzer!