Hey! :)

Hey everyone! im Jessica im 23 years old and im expecting my very first dachshund! 10 year old Miss Kay she is coming next week and i am so excited! :)

Penny

Hi and Welcome Jessica!
Thank you for taking in an older dog. There must be a story there, how it is she's coming to your place.

She is very over weight and will need some tender loving care to get the pounds off. My best wishes that you both enjoy many happy years together.

Yes she is going on a strict diet when i get her and lots of exercise she doesnt get very much at the fosters home once some of that weight gets off of her im sure she will be much happier im not sure of her story but I have been looking for a dog for several months now and was about to give up because every one i applied for either didnt reply back or fell through and i just had this feeling to just take one more look just one more thats when i found her i emailed and her foster mom replyed back she was very nice i mean we really hit it off filled out an application and got and email saying shes mine :)

Penny

Have you considered buying her a treat ball? You can put a measured amount from breakfast or supper, a few kibble at a time, and let her walk around and push the ball. It will provide some gentle steps and she can go as fast or slow as she likes. More steps in her day. Her joints may be aching from the weight and her age.

Would you take her measurements, around her waist and chest, and mark it on the calendar? We'd love to follow her progress, and enjoy the transformation with you. Photos too of course!

Engli getting her breakfast..

JPsMOM

Hello and welcome! What A pretty girl she is! I would be excited to follow her progress on the path to healthy as well! +1 on taking it easy at the start on her-she may not be too keen on being anything but a potato at first! Poor thing has to be sore with all that weight :) I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing about your new world together!
Another idea if she doesn't like a treat ball... My guy isn't dedicated enough to use one lol.. However we play a game while I fold laundry where I scatter his lunch all over the (clean) floor and he has to hunt for the pieces.. I put various laundry baskets on the floor so he has to get behind, around, under... It's fun for him and engages his mind and body!
Sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

What a lucky girl to have found you. Bless her she looks a real sweetheart, hope she settles well and you both enjoy all the cuddles.