Help?!?!?

kath

I am new to the site. My name is Kathy and I have had a beagle names Lily that I have had for 2 1/2 years now (we got her as a puppy).

Four days ago we decided to get another dog and we got a long haired cream brindled dachshund named Grace. We got her from a breeder who has decided to stop breeding because her health is declining.

What I know about Grace is that she is 2 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. The last litter was 7 puppies and one was turned sideways so they had to do a c-section on her. They then had her spayed and decided to adopt her out which is where we come in to the story.

She has seemed almost lethargic and very scared every since we brought her home. She absolutely refused to eat or drink anything and hides all the time. The lady we got her from said she has always been very shy.

I took her to the vet yesterday and they ran all kinds of tests and were unable to find anything wrong with her. They did say her heart rate was slow that it should be around 100 but hers is 60 but again they couldn't find any reason for it.

The vet said she believes Grace is just really depressed at having been taken away from her home. She suggested getting something called DAP to try and help ease her separation. She gave me some wet dog food and suggested I try feeding her when I crate her.

On the plus side that did work she ate and drank while crated this morning. I took her outside on the leash to try and get her to go to the bathroom and stood outside with her for about 5 minutes and she just laid down and refused to move. We came inside and she promptly went and peed on the carpet in the living room.

Ok so I know that was a lot to read, but has anyone else out there ever dealt with something like this? She is very gentle and will let you pick her up..she hasn't cried or barked the entire time we had her. She knows her name and will look at you but will not come when called. She has warmed up a little and will follow our beagle around from time to time when she is not hiding. She seems to love being in her crate which is the exact opposite of Lily who hates her crate. Grace will not eat anything unless I put it in her crate with her. Should I try mixing some dry dog food in with the wet dog food and she if she will eat that? I don't want to push her too much she went 4 days without eating until we tried feeding her the wet in her crate.

mjknable88

I had a issue with another breed of dog, she was a puppy though. It seemed like she was scared about being in different environment. She would lay in her crate with the door open and come out only if she didn't see my other dog or cat. It took her about a week to come around people and trust us. When we bent down to pet her she would coward down and pee. I'm guessing its the change of environment and not being around her puppies like she is use too. I learned not to push her to do anything and she will come around. The only thing I did was just do what made her happy until she came around.

kath

Yeah the lady had 4 other dogs in the house and I guess Grace was really close to one of the other dogs. My husband e-mailed her today and I guess she responded back that Grace has always been timid around people she doesn't know..so I guess it will just take time which is the complete opposite of our in your face you will love me and like it Beagle.

Steph

Lovely girl, but she looks so depressed in that photo. You can see it in her eyes. One of my fosters looked like that when I first brought them home. It takes time for them to come out of it - she may come around faster to your beagle than to you. Lots of patience and yummy treats when she does come to you. Shy, timid dogs always need to have their confidence boosted, so anything that she does, praise her - gently. Boisterous praise like you give a puppy might make her even more timid.

Good luck with her! Keep us posted :)

kath

Yeah it is a big change for me because my Beagle Lily was my first dog (my parents had dogs growing up but she was the first dog of my own) and she has always been a rambunctious loving crazy whirling dirvish so when we got Grace a few days ago I was at a loss for what to do for her. She just looks so sad I feel sorry for her. We try to show her as much love as we can and try to praise her with treats but she won't take them. She seems to only feel comfortable eating when she is alone in her crate. I noticed today she seems to follow Lily so if Lily goes into the kitchen Grace goes into the kitchen but if one of us humans comes around Grace takes off running.

Noodles~Mom

Time time time... give her time. Give her lots of love and pets and cuddles and soon she will come around just be paitent. She is beautiful by the way!!

Doxmom

Grace is beautiful but she does look so sad. You've gotten some great advice here & I hope it helps..Let us know how she's working out. I think your beagle will help her along..