HELP new dog owner stress

Sonicmousez

The story begins a few weeks ago when i decided to get a mini dachshund as I always wanted a dog. After much persuasion my family (esp. my mom) permits me to have a dog in the house. I'm 17 yrs old and I understand that my mom allows me to have a dog totally because she loves me and she wants me to be happy. So I got my mini smooth short haired dachshund and named it lawlaw. She is perfectly fine; She is paper trained and has occasional accidents on the kitchen floor (we confine her in the kitchen). The thing is, we are all expecting a little more obedient (we know it's hard for a puppy at this age), a little less hyperactive (she never gets tired; she went out four times, consumed the dewormer pill and socialized with two dogs who were driven crazy by her hyperactive and snappy temperament but was still energetic and asking for a game at night). I have an insightful talk with my mom and we all agree that we are somehow not getting used to a life with a dog (one more thing to care about). My mom complains that we can't be as free as we could be before (we can't travel, we worry about leaving her alone at home for too long, we worry about her health,etc.) I really want my mom to be happy and I'm somehow influenced by what she concerned. I questioned myself and find that I want my old life back. I miss the days when I only care about my school work, my social life, the days when I come and go as I please. I know some owners who are going through this adjustment period too, any ideas on how I can get over with it?

crystalclear1027

Did you think long and hard before getting the puppy? It is a full time commitment. She is an active puppy, learning new things and adapting to your family. As she gets older, she will mature. You need to have a lot of patience during puppyhood, it is not easy, but sure worth it. We have our puppies on a schedule, this works for us. Start crate training her, if not already, that is a life saver.

Peanut

Unfortunately that, exactly what you are explaining, is why not everybody is cut out for puppies. Cute, sure.. But they come with so much more responsibility than an older dog. Just remember that dogs are not just something to throw away once the cuteness wears off. They are life long family members. I sure hope you can get passed this.

My first dachshund was a 1 year old rescue from the humane society, and I tell you what, even at 1 year old, a dachshund is still a "puppy". My second was 16 weeks, my third was 8 weeks (now 9 months/7 months), and I just put a deposit down on another puppy, only 6 weeks right now, so I will get her in 2 weeks. Needless to say, I have my hands full. I'm a stay at home mother, however, so I have plenty of time. We take our dogs with us EVERYWHERE, the only time they stay home is when we go shopping, so they don't spend any time alone in the car. They are just now to the point of NOT being confined when left at home, and like I said, they are 7/9 months. They still have accidents every now and then, however, so we put out potty pads when we leave the house.

Before you give up, please do some research on the breed. Not everybody is cut out to be a dachshund owner, but if you are, you'll eventually understand the love they portray. They are VERY stubborn, yet very loving. I'd recommend obedience training, if nothing else. I started training my puppies the day I got them. They are extremely eager to please their owners. Though like I said, and keep repeating, some are more stubborn than others. Within 2 weeks my female learned sit/lay/roll over/sit pretty.. it took me 2 months to teach my male sit/sit up(sit pretty), still having troubles with lay/roll over for him. Just something to think about :)

Nell

Hi, I agree a dog is for life and a very big commitment but you are only 17 and there is plenty of time to tie yourself down with a job, husband, a home, kids etc. Please think hard, I don't think there is any shame in admitting it was maybe a mistake, for the puppies sake if this is the case the sooner you find her another home the better, she can then adjust so much easier. Remember it will take time and patience if you keep her and if you do not have the time then the best thing for the pup is to find her someone that can give it to her. Don't let others make you feel bad about it, it sounds to me as though you are being very mature and want the best for your pup. Good luck with whatever you decide.

vizzla

Do you really WANT this dog? If you do, its just hanging in there.

Be with the puppy as much as possible, all the time. That makes the puppy feel safe and becoming a calm, confident adult sometime. Its just like having a kid. The more you spend time with your kid the better relation you will have when he/she grows up.

I really dont belive in cratetraining. In sweden that is illegal due to the harm it causes the dogs development (mentaly).

Go to a puppy-course, it helps talking to people in the same situations. You will also hear that some breeds are harder in some ways so you can feel better ;)

Our 1 year old male is still hyperactiv, all though he is neutered. So some dogs are high energy dogs. Start bloodtracking with the puppy, short tracks. That will get her the mental stimulation she needs to be calm inside. If you do it on a regular base.
Its a perfect way of activate the hunting-gene they have :)

AS she grows older you need to find acitivtys that are fun and is a challenge for her. Doxies are smart, they need both exercise (physical) and also mental challanges. Teach tricks or blood tracking, people- tracking or some other mental stimulation.

If you really feel its to much its better to find her a active home. But remember, we all been there. Im right now so frustrated with our new boy. But its not his fault and I know it will pass, so just hang in there. It gets better and they can become the perfect family dog.

Do you have any relatives that can take care of the dog when you want to go on hollidays? That can make your mom feel calm that you are not as "bound" at home.

I dont feel bound because of the dog. I chosed this life when I got our boys.

Good luck!

Nell

"Be with the puppy as much as possible, all the time. That makes the puppy feel safe and becoming a calm, confident adult sometime. Its just like having a kid. The more you spend time with your kid the better relation you will have when he/she grows up."

No offence Vizzla but I think I disagree with you. This girl IS a kid and she should have time to be one. It will not do this puppy any good if her care giver resents the time with her. I am a mum of three and grandmother to four and I would not want any of my kids to tie themselves down at 17. There is plenty of time for her to make a great dog owner, she needs to live a little and have the freedom to find herself before she has the responsibility of a dog or a kid.

Penny

If I was going to sell you a puppy, I would have asked you to consider what the next 10 years is going to be like for you. Think about it. There is a lot of moving, school, dating, instability. Looking for work, finding a job, looking for a place to live, maybe getting married and having a first baby. Maybe working out of state and traveling back and forth. Pretty unstable life for a dog that loves routine and stability. Sounds like your mom isn't really interested in a puppy either. I would consider finding a new home for her while she's young. It may have been an impulse purchase on your part, and letting her learn bad habits will make her harder to fit in to a new family later, not impossible though.

Something to consider sometime down the road. We have only adopted adults and have been very happy with that. Puppies aren't for everyone.

Good luck with your decision. I would love to see a photo of her, you haven't told us much about her actually, if she is a short hair or long, color, etc.

Penny

I really dont belive in cratetraining. In sweden that is illegal due to the harm it causes the dogs development (mentaly).
I love that you mention they need mental and physical challenges! They do. However, this one point on crate training I will disagree on. Crate training is very useful in house training. It's a den for a puppy to feel safe in, and should feel safe all their lives. Having 3 of my 4 doxies go through spinal cord injuries, they had to stay in their kennel for 8 weeks. If they did not get kennel trained, that would have been a terrible and stressful time for them on top of their injury, and they *must* be kenneled for that time. I think when you think of crate training, you imagine the family gone for 10 hours a day and the dog is stuck in the kennel for that long. I am not talking about that. That's a different issue.

Sonicmousez

Thank you for the opinions! I did think a lot and do lots of research on owning a dog and this breed, the only problem is more on me than on the puppy; she's a great girl and she learned her sit, come and stay within 2-3 weeks (I have her for 4 weeks now and she follows me and my mom everywhere). Of course I love the cuteness of puppies but the primary reason i wanted puppy is that I want a loyal friend and companion. But I somehow do doubt myself for getting tied down to a puppy at this age as I should be experiencing a few more years of responsible-free teenage hood before I get tied down to greater responsibilities such as a job, a family and a kid, etc. But I am definitely not giving up on my pup because I know I will regret and resent A LOT. I just wish that I can eventually have my old life back but at the same time keep the puppy healthy and happy in my family.

crystalclear1027

Aww, she is a red smooth coat and very cute. I am sure you will be able to work things out for yourself and her. Take it slow, she will not be a puppy for long, you will be fine!!!!

Penny

Awww!! What a CUTIE!

Yes, she's much too much trouble, I can tell by looking at her. I will take her off your hands, kay?? lol

vizzla

No offence Vizzla but I think I disagree with you. This girl IS a kid and she should have time to be one. It will not do this puppy any good if her care giver resents the time with her. I am a mum of three and grandmother to four and I would not want any of my kids to tie themselves down at 17. There is plenty of time for her to make a great dog owner, she needs to live a little and have the freedom to find herself before she has the responsibility of a dog or a kid.

Then you shoulnt get a dog. What I mean is that someone should always be with the dog. You cant take back the time you miss when they are puppys. A puppy shouldnt be left alone. If she cant be with the dog all the time, then get someone else in the family to do it.

Its a resonsability to get a dog, not a human right.

Nell

I totally agree that someone should be with the dog, that is what I was saying. It is not fair on the dog if someone does not have the time to be with them and that is why I suggested she thinks long and hard about the commitment. I also agree that you shouldn't get a dog unless you have the time but we all make mistakes in life, sometimes the responsible thing to do is to admit it was a mistake and do the right thing for the dog.

Last edited:

GJBain

Our red smooth short haired female miniature Dachshund lived to be 17 years and 3 weeks old. We got her at 8 weeks old, so that means we had her 5 weeks shy of 17 years. You could be 34 years old before you get "your old life" back. If you do decide you can not take care of her Let me know immediately. I will take care of her for you as we just lost our girl about 8 weeks ago. I will even come get her. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you and most importantly for the dog as well.