Help me understand why I lost my Dachshund.

Phillips66

I am looking for closure and info, this is my story:

On friday July 19, my Dachshund "Penny"(4 1/2 old mini Dachshund) jumped off of my daughters bed like she has done so many times(yes I know they shouldn't be jumping from that high), when she landed she started yelping and crying, dragging her right leg, after about 5 mins she started dragging her left as well. We immediately took penny to the animal clinic and was given pain meds, and muscle relaxer(3 times per day), and a liquid(mornings with food), that I cant recall at this time. The Doctor thought she might have the IVDD. The following morning we took penny to see our vet and he said she looked good and recommended 3 weeks of crate. That whole weekend penny was very restless, standing on her front legs and pointing her nose towards the sky as like she was stretching. its like she couldn't get comfortable. sometime monday she finally started to relax and just stay calm, she was eating and we were helping go to potty. She still would move her front paws to get herself comfortable. the next 3 days she just laid there, ate(very little) and drank water. Friday July 26 penny had a follow up appointment with our vet, but when I came home to get her she was having trouble breathing to the extent like she was gasping. when we got to the vet, he asked what happened, I said I don't know, I thought it was the meds making her completely relaxed. He did a stimulation test and nothing from the neck down. Said she seemed totally paralyzed. Told was she may only last 12-24 hrs. I was confused. Penny died on the way home from the vet in my daughters arms. It was a very long night and I still get tears in my eyes when I think of her, Penny was too young for this to happen.

If anyone can give me some insight as to what else might have happened or if I could have done something to prevent this, I would so appreciate it.

Moderater, if this is in the wrong thread, please move it to the correct one.

vizzla

Im so sorry for your loss. Dont blame yourself. I know many people that have dachshund jumping of furniture, they are not made out of paper. A healthy dachshund will manage that.

Maybe she got a very seroius ruptured disc (or more than one) or maybe she reacted to the medicin. Its impossible to know. Can your vet do an postmortem examination to decide the cause of death? If you need it?

But, dont blame yourself, accidents happens.

Nell

Phillip I am so sorry to read your story. It sounds to me as if you did everything you could, you took her to the vet straight away and trusted in the advice you were given. No one could have done more.

I am not a vet and it may be that none of the vets could have done anything different to help her. Please do not beat yourself up about the fact that she jumped from the bed, we all do our best to ensure dachshunds protect their backs but with the best will in the world accidents just happen.

I hope you find some comfort in the good life you gave her.

Last edited:

Phillips66

Thanks for your replies. They mean a lot to me. I just feel so bad that her life was cut so short, and hoping its nothing we did wrong.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375137568.219874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

crystalclear1027

I am very sorry for your loss and this also happened to our dog who was 41/2 years old too this past November. After this happened to Tango, we built a ramp instead of letting them use steps and give them joint and bone tablets once a day. I will do anything I have to, to minimize their jumping. It is hard to do because they are dogs! Our vet said that most of these cases are hereditary, but you never know. Please don't feel guilty, if you want to talk, message me.

GJBain

Phillip I am sorry to here about what happened. I still beat myself up almost 2 months after our 17 year old Dachshund had to be put to sleep. Like I said she was 17, deaf, nearly blind, and had trouble walking. She pretty much stopped eating. My wife took her that day and I knew it had to be done but I could not do it. I was holding her before she took her and it kills me to this day for letting go of her. I just wanted to hold her. I just wanted her to die naturally in my arms. She was just so damn tough. Over the years she would jump and I always tried to stop her because the Dachshund we had as kids hurt her back once but recovered quickly from it. We got lucky. We were just dumb kids that did not know better back then. I would always yell at my wife for letting her do the stairs. I know what can happen because I have seen it. My wife has not and it is so hard to make them understand. Don't beat yourself up over it. Be glad your daughter was holding onto her. I wish I could have held onto mine forever.

Attachments

Last edited:

Penny

Anyone of us with a dachshund could have a story like this.
I am so very sorry for your loss.

AmandaL

Im so sorry :( I know how hard it is. We lost Honey 2 months after she turned 4. I was taking my husband to work one morning and she was sitting in the back seat but would not move. We have no idea what she did to cause multiple ruptured discs, she was acting fine the day before. we had to put her down due to being in severe pain and she couldnt even be touched without her screaming.

Now Im dealing with the same issue with my other doxie except he isnt in pain like she was but he is paralyzed in the back legs. And again I dont know what brought his bad disc on. I beileve his bad disc is something that happened over time and not one event.

I agree with everyone else. Dont blame yourself for her jumping off the bed. Its so sad but I would be thankful she passed in your daughters arms instead of at home alone while no one was at home.

HilyBee

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for Penny and she will be missed, but never forgotten. Hang in there.

As for what could have happened... it sounds like she had a disc issue to me and it wasn't fully hurt or apparent for a while. That can happen. If you get another dachshund to check into the health of the pup's parents (if you get one from a breeder).

I have a story just like yours. Lost my little guy on February 14, 2013. I still cry over him sometimes. He died very suddenly.. and it wasn't an easy death. He had a genetic immune disease that caused his own body to attack itself. He died in my arms. <3 Hang in there. It will get better.

Blazer's Mom

My first thought would be to talk with your breeder...maybe the breeder would have some ideas.

Second, I can't imagine a death would have come from a ruptured disc... possibly a coincidental timing of something else? Maybe the treatment triggered something else? Something isn't adding up. I know hind sight is 20/20 but a necropsy would have been a good idea.

Either way, this is not your fault.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

thomas frith

i feel your pain phillip

im sorry for what happened I lost little Maggie when she was 14 months old she was born Christmas day 2011 I held her in my hands 5 minutes after she was born the hardest thing I have ever done in mylife was bring her home in a box and bury her she passed away at the vets from a severe intestinal blockage she was loved by everyone who ever met her and loved everyone she met she will live forever in my heart and soul.

Dachloves201

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to understand why these things happen. It's strange the circumstance and I would be confused to as to why.*hugs* I hope you are taking comfort in the fact your pup loved you very much and don't blame yourself! I try/tired my best throughout the years to get my dachs to not jump off the couch and other things but sometimes it's hard to keep them from doing so. :( Your Penny was very beautiful and she is most certainly waiting for you at the Bridge.

cmoore

So sorry for your loss. Our 3 year old just got back from the vet last week with a disc problem. He was Rx'd muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories. Sounds like the same stuff your Dachshund was Rx'd. My vet said Dachshunds just have bad discs. I'm not going to let Porkchop jump off of anything.

limunkay

I am so sorry for your loss but you really cant blame yourself (even though its hard to do). Your post really hit home for me (much like many other doxie owners) bc tonight I just took my little guy to the vet for an emergency visit. All of the sudden he started groaning softly but not crying or whining and wasn't able to move his back legs. When the vet tried to make him stand on all 4s and I saw his back legs were limp I couldn't control my emotions... He couldn't even wag his tail when we spoke to him and couldn't even chew/bite on a treat!! They did an X-ray and the vet said he has a calcified disc and I think extra spacing in between 2 so he's staying overnight on anti inflammatory meds. I'm praying that my little guy will recover and it's not real serious. :(

Nell

When the vet tried to make him stand on all 4s and I saw his back legs were limp I couldn't control my emotions... He couldn't even wag his tail when we spoke to him and couldn't even chew/bite on a treat!! They did an X-ray and the vet said he has a calcified disc and I think extra spacing in between 2 so he's staying overnight on anti inflammatory meds. I'm praying that my little guy will recover and it's not real serious. :(
So sorry to hear your news, its so hard when they are not well isn't it you feel so helpless. My thoughts will be with you both and I do hope you hear good news soon.

limunkay

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately he is not responding to the meds. The vet said our only options are surgery (which we cannot afford), a wheelchair, or put him down. I don't like any of those options and am going to get a 2nd opinion.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!