Hello from Wisconsin

Fpdoon1024

Hi everyone,

I have a 3 1/2 year female smooth and just bought a 10 week old puppy. We were told she was a smooth. I noticed she had some tuffs of hair on her elbows and I asked (several times) the breeder about it. She informed me she was a smooth. When we went outside after paying for her I noticed some long white hairs on her back. I again asked if she was a wire instead of a smooth.....she informed us she is a smooth. A week later I noticed a tad bit of longer hairs on the sides of her mouth but not a lot yet. Is she a wire and not a smooth? Any information I can get would be great. Thanks.

Penny

Hi and welcome from Canada!
Post some pics! Of course we'd love to see a 10 week puppy. Photos of the feet, ears and face would be nice if you want some comments on the coat.
Also, what were the coats of the parents? One of them must be wire to produce a wire puppy.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Actually, one does not have to be a wire to produce wires. It is recessive to shorthair, so if both parents carry for wire, they could produce wire pups. I don't expect a smooth would have long hairs or tufts. I think you possibly could have a wire, but it's hard to tell without photos and also hard to tell at this age, though a true wire should be easy to tell at 10 weeks, but that's not always the case :) whatever he is, I bet he's a darling!!!

Penny

I must disagree with my dear fellow member. Wire is dominant over both smooth and long. If a pup gets a wire gene, it will be wire. It cannot be carried.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
You're right... according to one source I read, I'll have to look into it deeper tomorrow. I've read other sources (for other breeds) saying wire is recessive to both short and longhair... hmmmn, I'm interested now! LOL