Hello from SW Missouri! (picture heavy)

Peanut

I'm so glad I found this forum! I grew up with dachshunds, and when I moved out and got a place of my own, of course, I get two dachshunds! I actually got overwhelmed. I had always known about their stubbornness, though I never had a doxie puppy, and having 2 at the same time, I seriously was getting discouraged. They are now 6 months and 9 months, and we finally got the both of them fully potty trained (the big issue), and they are both learning their basic commands. I remember why Dachshunds are my favorite breed!

Peanut, she was our first. She's 9 months old. A beautiful red smooth coat miniature. She was the most stubborn. At first with potty training, and she's still tough with being very protective over our family, especially my son, though that's how my last female was, so I expected it.. She's extremely smart, though. She started out being my Fiance's baby, but she no longer leaves my side. I love her!

Nemo, he's 6 months. Black and tan long hair miniature. He caught on quickly with potty training, though is very stubborn when it comes to basic commands. I've only gotten as far as sit and "up" with him. He loves anybody and everybody.

Last edited:

crystalclear1027

Welcome!!! Your dog's are gorgeous! We have two doxies also. Augie is a nine month old black and tan smooth and Lily is a sixth month old dapple smooth. He is fully trained and she is taking her merry old time learning, non the less, we love them them to death. Good luck to you with them.

Penny

What sweet adorable babies!! Loving the photos!
I want to caution you about using the flash with your camera. They will learn that they don't like the flash and every time they see a camera, they will turn their head away. We don't want that. lol Congrats on your sweeties!

sherlock

Ahhh so cute! (That is to say, welcome!)

I LOVE that silly little face Nemo is making in the first picture. It also takes me back because I remember when my long-haired boy was still all fluffy!!

Peanut

Yes! I have learned they aren't fond of it. I try putting tissue paper over the flash so it isn't quite so bright. However, our apartment is poorly designed, and it's always very dark.

As a baby puppy, Nemo never had a picture he wasn't making some sort of weird face. Full of personality for sure. I had never had a longhaired dachshund before, and never been around them either. He lost his puppy fur, and he was kind of a bit on the special-looking side. Lol. I was worried, honestly. It got a little wire-y and thin, after being a fuzz ball for so long, he just didn't look "normal". He's 6 months now, was born on 1/1/13, and his fur is finally starting to grow in. It's already much thicker down his back, his tail is starting to get the feathering, and his ear tufts are back. *sigh of relief* he's looking better than ever!

sherlock

As a baby puppy, Nemo never had a picture he wasn't making some sort of weird face. Full of personality for sure. I had never had a longhaired dachshund before, and never been around them either. He lost his puppy fur, and he was kind of a bit on the special-looking side. Lol. I was worried, honestly. It got a little wire-y and thin, after being a fuzz ball for so long, he just didn't look "normal". He's 6 months now, was born on 1/1/13, and his fur is finally starting to grow in. It's already much thicker down his back, his tail is starting to get the feathering, and his ear tufts are back. *sigh of relief* he's looking better than ever!
I didn't know much about long-haireds before getting Watson, either. He definitely went through that special stage, hahaha! Yeah, the tail and ears grow out first. And then Watson got fluff all over his legs! A lot of people think he's still a baby (he's a year and a half) because they think it's puppy fluff still. Hopefully it will get silkier.

But I've read that it can take as long as 2 years to get their full long coat, so it will probably be a while before Nemo actually looks like a long-haired instead of just funny. A lot of them also don't get the full "show" coat, like with the long silky curtain on their sides.

....TL;DR :p

Peanut

I had so many questions, the breeder never got back to me. I have no idea what the parents look like. So I have no idea what he might turn out like. I don't think he'll have the show coat, though. It's extremely long ear tufts, tail is getting feathery off the end, I can only assume it'll continue to do so. The fur between his paws is crazy long, and along his spine is already thick and about 3 inches long. The rest still lays flat like it did for quite some time. Any idea if you can look up their parents pictures through AKC? I don't know if I'll ever know what his parents looked like.

I never used to be a fan of smooth coats, but Peanut is just beautiful to me. Her coat is very glossy and healthy. Our last female was kind of dull, and more wire-y. Getting peanut was a last minute decision. We drove 6 hours to get her. I'm so glad we did!

sherlock

Well I don't know about his parents or looking them up, but at this point he looks a lot like my Watson did at that age. You can check out his facebook page (in my sig) for a bunch of pictures, it might give you a bit of an idea :)

Peanut

He's so cute. Of course, I have to comment on the ears! So cute!! I have a feeling that's what Nemo will turn out like. The long tufts of fur, but not a "show" coat. I guess only time will tell. He's already changed so much since I got him at 8 weeks. He was a total fluff ball, and waddled when he walked. Now he does much like Watson does - I seen your videos of him running around like crazy and then chasing his tail. Nemo does the exact same thing every single night after my Fiance and Son go to bed. Not sure why he waits until then, because I'm afraid he'll wake them up, but he just goes crazy. Peanut is just the type that wants to lay on your lap all day, they are two totally different pups, that's for sure!

Any idea if there's much truth to this? From my experience, and experience of those around me.. Males tend to be much more relaxed, and open to having strangers around. Females tend to be more dominant of her family and territory, and wants nobody around.. Peanut is the most protective dog I've ever had, but it's almost scary at times. She doesn't show many signs of aggression until it's too late. I warn everybody that they need to leave her alone, but they're more than welcome to pet on Nemo. I get the response of "Oh, animals love me, it's OK"... If I hear that one more time after I tell somebody to leave her alone, I may flip. Out in public she's very quiet, I can personally tell by her body language that she gets nervous when people come up to us. To others, she shows no signs until they stick their hand out.. She doesn't growl, no barking; she wags her tail (nervously) and acts like she wants to be pet until they stick their hand out and she tries to nip them. I guess because she's so small people think "oh, it's OK".. they don't listen to me whatsoever.

We got her at 16 weeks, and she immediately took to our family. She acts like my son's doggy-momma. Lol. We socialized her the best we could. Took her to pet stores, parks, basically anywhere we could take a dog. She seen my sister-in-law on a regular basis, but JUST started coming around to her. I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that this is just her personality, and there's not much I can do to fix it.

sherlock

Haha yes, the ears! Those silly little black streaks that hang down are just the best. His momma had them too (she also had a much longer coat, almost show-style, so apparently he didn't inherit that. Or it just hasn't shown up yet.) And don't worry, Nemo will calm down some. Those videos of Watson show what he used to be like ALL. THE. TIME. Never slowed down until we put him in his kennel. Now he will just hang out and sleep on the couch next to me, with bursts of playtime energy like in the videos.

About males vs females, I'm not sure, Watson is my first doxie. Perhaps others will know more.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
OMG those babies are adorable!!! I have 2 mini's as well, both deaf and sight impaired double dapples, and both shorthaired. I do want a wire next tho :)

HilyBee

Love all the pictures!! We have our second longhaired doxie now and love their temperament. Their full coat doesn't develop until ages 1.5-2 years old, sometimes longer depending on their breeding and how quickly they are growing overall. If he already has that long of fur on his back, he could vary well get a show coat. The ears, legs and feet grow first, then the back and full body follow. Get him use to brushing and baths now. :D

They do calm down quite a bit after they hit a certain age AND after they are neutered/spayed. :) Yosuke (my mini longhaired cream male) has calmed down a ton over the last two months! lol

Females are more dominate and tend to be more aggressive in my experience. The best thing to do is look up training techniques for her - I'm no help there - and see if you can help her realize people are not scary. lol

Peanut

I figured, y'know, black wouldn't need bathed all that often. But, I was in for a treat! I have to bathe him about 3x as much as my smooth red doxie. He HATES the brush, but bathing isn't so bad anymore. We also have this doggie perfume, not a fan of the sound, but he smells so good!

I haven't gotten him neutered yet. I considered possibly trying shows.. But, I would have no idea where to begin, and I'm not sure if he's show quality. Even if I don't, I'll wait until he's 2 or fully mature to neuter him. My Fiance and I have debated this for quite some time. We may just have to deal with his crazy-ness for a bit longer, lol. At least small dog crazy is nothing compared to big dog crazy :)

I try to help her realize that. I guess it doesn't help when your brother purposely tries to get her to attack him. I coulda hurt him! She was in my car just going nuts, I rolled the window down after he left the area and he came running back and Peanut bit him. At that point, I would have bit him, too. I have noticed, though, when he's on the leash it's not quite so bad. But, if I ever try holding her, she is extremely protective.

Penny

If you took him for show training, he would benefit from those classes. Walking on a leash nice, being on a table and letting a stranger look him over. The command 'Look at me' is very useful when you're out and there's something that may make him bark. You can use that command and keep him focused on you. I really like the standing still while they look at your hand. My dogs are retired show dogs and I've gotten plenty of nice portraits because they can go into show mode and pose for me. Gotta love that. lol Here's Georgia, no problem to stand on a box and hold the pose. She'll turn her head wherever you hold the kibble, and feet don't move. Anyway, take the lessons!!! lol

Peanut

Thank you, Penny! I am very seriously considering it. I've been researching standards, and I truly believe he's not show-quality, but he would clearly benefit from the training. He's the stubborn one when it comes to basic commands. Peanut knows sit, lay, stay, roll over, sit pretty, come... Nemo, on the other hand.. He knows sit and "up" (sit pretty).. I'm struggling with him a bit. I cannot get him to do anything for me.If you even TRY stacking him, he just falls to the floor on his back. He hates being positioned.. I wish I could take a decent picture of him, lol.. I'll continue to look into it.

Georgia is beautiful!

Peanut

More pictures. Nothing special, but kind of shows them more, at their current age. I couldn't get them to stand for nothing. Even with treats it was difficult. (Excuse Peanut, she is in the midst of a false pregnancy, and looks a bit heavy because of it. (also excuse their nails.. They're both due for a trim))

Peanut: Before the Pseudocyesis, she weighed 10lbs even. Took her to the vet last Thursday for a well-check to ensure she was indeed having a false pregnancy, and she was up to 10lbs 10oz.

Nemo: 9lbs, 8oz and holding.

crystalclear1027

I think you did a great job posing them, especially on a small table, they trust you and most of all want to please you. It looks like they both can be show quality. I love the pictures.

Peanut

Thanks! I don't think I could show Peanut ever, not unless I could get her over her fear of other people. She wouldn't have it, being touched and even being near judges and/or other dogs. She's the one most eager to please, too. They are less than a year old, though, so I have time to work with them. I'm still going to look into the training, anyway. It can't hurt.