Hello everyone!!

Khloelove

My name is Brandi. I recently adopted a 1yr old mini black and tan girl. Her name is Khloe and she is already a wonderful dog. She is so funny and sweet and fit right into my family. I decided to join the forum for many reasons. It's been years since I've had a dog, and I'm already finding things I'd like to get advice on from other doxie owners. For example, what flea/tick preventative do you guys use? And why? What about brewers yeast in the food? Vinegar? I've been hearing about them and wanting opinions. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Doxmom

Welcome, Brandi! And welcome to Khloe as well. I'm still fairly new to the breed with my eight month old shorthair, so I'll leave the advice to the experts. Hope to see pictures of your baby soon! ~Nikki from Florida

jax's_mommy

Welcome to both you and Khloe!
As far as fleas go, i use Harts Ultra Gaurd. Along with mixing garlic in his wet food (which i feed a lil each night) And when i bather him, I use Dawn (the blue one works great!) to kill the fleas.

All those I've learned from other people, online and experience.

I've never tried brewers yeast or vinegar.

Khloelove

Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for the tips. I'll check those out. I'm not exactly new to the breed. My parents have a 16yr old black and tan smooth girl that they rescued when she was 2. This is the first one I've owned. I just love her. They have such dun personalities. I've always had giant breeds in the past, so its an adjustment, but I'm loving every minute.

jax's_mommy

My boy is my 2nd doxie. i had a mini about 4 yrs ago, she made me fall in love with the breed. Like you, I've also lived with big breeds. When i had her, we had 15 (not a typo! haha) dogs. I big leonberger and 14 little breeds. But she was the one that stuck with me :)

nola

Hi and welcome! I've had six total, and currently have four (Nola-female red sable (2), Boston-female red dapple (2), Augsutine-male red dilute (almost 2) and Phoenix-black and tan female (4 months ish))
I use Frontline Plus, but only during spring and summer. Since switching to homemade food (Nola has horrible food allergies), I've noticed fleas aren't as much of a problem as they used to be

nikki_chevelle

Hello, chevelle is my 5th dachshund. For the flea protection I use the advantage drops, but to be honest im not too sure if i like it or not. Ive never heard of this yeast and vinegar stuff before though, im sort of curious now...

babysis

Welcome Brandi! I have actually used Brewers Yeast ( I have an 11 year old girl named Baby- she's a mini) and it does help for the immune system to a point. It is good for their skin and their coat. It says it's supposed to help with fleas, but I never saw a difference. You can get brewer's Yeast in tablet form at any pet store. But check with your Vet before you put your dog on brewers yeast. Vinegar- I've only heard of it being used on the ears. Never really used it. I don't really use any flea/tick remedy i.e. advantage or frontline because Baby is allergic to those. (and allergic to flea bites as well) I basically bathe her once a week in an oatmeal bath.