Getting new puppy used to kids

SMA

Hi.

My family just got our second ever dachshund. My husband and I had one from when doxie was 2 until he finally passed 16, when our son was 3. My son is now 7 and we got a new puppy (4 months), Murray, just 4 days ago. Initially, he seemed very chill with children. All the neighborhood kids immediately came over and he sniffed around them all on day 1--he was obviously a little shell shocked but he was quiet and brave. However, on day 2 he became overwhelmed by them (4 little kids) as they were running around being normal (but loud) kids in our house, and Murray became fearful. He now barks at my 7 year old every time he enters the room. He also barks at my son's best buddy (the neighbor) when he comes over. I feel horrible and I am trying to figure out how to reverse the damage.

My son is gentle and is trying really hard to make Murray like him, but as an active little boy he still has sudden movements sometimes and or gets loud.

We have my son mostly ignoring Murray and his barking, and giving him lots of treats for positive behavior (being calm), and feeding him for every meal. It is getting a little better, but I really want Murray to like kids. We have a ton of kids in our neighborhood and they are in and out of our house all of the time. TBH, I am feeling a little heartbroken as I wanted my son to have a little doxie buddy like our previous dachshund was with my husband.

Any tips?

CaseyKC

Hi.

My family just got our second ever dachshund. My husband and I had one from when doxie was 2 until he finally passed 16, when our son was 3. My son is now 7 and we got a new puppy (4 months), Murray, just 4 days ago. Initially, he seemed very chill with children. All the neighborhood kids immediately came over and he sniffed around them all on day 1--he was obviously a little shell shocked but he was quiet and brave. However, on day 2 he became overwhelmed by them (4 little kids) as they were running around being normal (but loud) kids in our house, and Murray became fearful. He now barks at my 7 year old every time he enters the room. He also barks at my son's best buddy (the neighbor) when he comes over. I feel horrible and I am trying to figure out how to reverse the damage.

My son is gentle and is trying really hard to make Murray like him, but as an active little boy he still has sudden movements sometimes and or gets loud.

We have my son mostly ignoring Murray and his barking, and giving him lots of treats for positive behavior (being calm), and feeding him for every meal. It is getting a little better, but I really want Murray to like kids. We have a ton of kids in our neighborhood and they are in and out of our house all of the time. TBH, I am feeling a little heartbroken as I wanted my son to have a little doxie buddy like our previous dachshund was with my husband.

Any tips?

I think you started off by not allowing several weeks to a month to allow your new BABY to get used to being away from his previous home and family or his mother and siblings. He needed time to settle into a totally new place without his mother and/or litter mates. He may not have been exposed to young children and the activity and noise they create. He needs to have his own space, a crate in a private corner, or at least a dog bed out of the action, where he can retreat to nice,quiet place where he feels safe. Just think how your son might feel if he were taken from you and his home and was confronted with with new sights and sounds and the activity you described.
You may have heard of the "fight or flight response" that humans and other mammals use when confronted with a new and scary situation, they either run away from whatever frightened them, or, respond in a way to try to frighten whatever is scaring them to go away. Humans might resort to screaming, or attacking the cause of their fear in hopes that it will go away. In the case of your little Murray, he barked to make the kids go away. With only one day in your home when this (to him), strange and frightening scene occurred, he had no where to go to feel safe and initially shut down and appeared to be "quiet and brave." When the scary situation happened again on day 2, he may have barked because the day before he thought he had survived by barking. Bless his little heart!
I would have your son spend a lot of time with Murray in quiet activities. have them sit together and your son can quietly read to Murray using an indoor voice, or watch a tv gentle show without violence or shouting while your son gently pats him. Move on to having your son sit on the floor and gently roll a ball and encourage Murray to bring it back to him (use small treats to encourage Murray) Have your son take Murray out to do business and clean it up and give a small treat when he does business. Try having him walk around your yard on a leash, but supervise this activitu to preclude Murray being afraid of he leash. No pulling or jerking the leash, just gentle soothing encouraging indoor voice. Allow Murray to sleep in your son's room (put a doggy diaper on Murray.

Good luck and I hope Murray will decide to forgive his initial introduction to your home and bond with your son.