Double Dappling

mariethebee

I have a question, I have been reading DORG and studying dominant and recessive genes. So if two dapples have a litter and one of the puppies comes out black and tan dapple with white on one foot, would that puppy be considered double dappled?

Steph

Not always because you are working with this - Mm - which is the genetic makeup of a dapple. So now look at it like this Mm (mom) and Mm (dad) You can get Mm dogs (dapple) mm (solid color for explanation sake) and then the dreaded MM (double dapple) though with the dapple/ merle gene it likes to play tricks on people - hidden dapples where there's no obvious sign of dappling. When working with 2 dapple genes the chances of doubles is always higher because that gene doesn't like competing with itself for doing the "paint job" on dogs.

There are some more studies going on as well in regard to the Harlequin gene (seen in danes) because there are some really wildly marked dapples out there that are not doubles and are not dapple piebalds, but it creates splashes of white on a dapple that make people go "WOW!"

mariethebee

Thank you for your response Steph.
So now Iam wondering if that puppy grows up and is breed to a non dapple is there still chance of passing on the double dapple gene?

Steph

If the pup is a double dapple MM the only thing it has to offer is the dapple gene. A non dapple would be mm...so the whole litter would be single dapples.

Let me suggest the book Dachshund Coat, Colors and Patterns by Lisa J Emerson of Eridox Dachshunds found here The Wienepedia™

Once upon a time I thought I might like to be a breeder, started studying genetics, got this book...then it all changed when I fostered a puppy that had epilepsy. I no longer want to be a breeder, but genetics still fascinates me to no end so I continue to study them.

mariethebee

Ok ya some of the details of genetics can be hard to wrap your head around, but I too am very fascinated with it. Thank you for the reference book:)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Merle (dapple) genetics are absolutely fascinating! I've spent a fair amount of time researching doubles, and the merle and harle gene because of it.

I think the most important thing to remember about merle is that it's dominant, both parents MUST me merle, in order fot there to be a risk of a double dapple. Though cryptic (hidden) merles/dapples are out there, there's usually a way to tell (a small spot, or looked dapple as a pup then it faded, etc) but not always. Some colours wont show the dapple. which is one of the reasons there are so many double dapple dachshunds out there that only have cream or yellow markings but no actual dappling.

mariethebee

DeafDogs
I had to let you know I watched your video of ( I believe) Mouse doing all those tricks.
!!!!!!!!!!AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!