Dachshund relations to other animals

Starfish1987

Does anyone have any stories on how the doxie gets along with kittens/cats? We plan on getting a cat eventually, and was just curious if anyone has any experiences they would like to share. We plan on adopting a kitten when our girl is still a puppy, but maybe around 3-4 months old. My boyfriend's old doxie got along with his parent's cat just fine. Would enjoy feedback!

nola

Does anyone have any stories on how the doxie gets along with kittens/cats? We plan on getting a cat eventually, and was just curious if anyone has any experiences they would like to share. We plan on adopting a kitten when our girl is still a puppy, but maybe around 3-4 months old. My boyfriend's old doxie got along with his parent's cat just fine. Would enjoy feedback!
Mine's just fine with my two cats (the kitties are now about 7 years old), but I had the cats when I brought her home and she's been raised to accept and respect them. She will still go after any cat that comes near our house though.

sherlock

Watson doesn't really like cats and will chase (and be chased back) by the downstairs neighbor's cat if they're outside at the same time. However, he's never actually *met* a cat before. I think he'd be fine, really.

Plus, if you get a kitten when the dog is still a puppy, they'll be growing up together and will probably be like siblings! Plus then they can entertain each other :)

Starfish1987

Plus, if you get a kitten when the dog is still a puppy, they'll be growing up together and will probably be like siblings! Plus then they can entertain each other :)
That was my theory on the matter too. I've come to see that most dogs and cats that get along were raised together from babies. We plan on having her for a few months before we get a kitten, so my only concern was territorial issues. But I think they will be fine.

Starfish1987

We also plan on taking Daenerys with us to the shelter to see which kitten interacts with her the best before we bring the kitty home.

Inkeri

We had an old cat when Manu was little, so he's really bonded to cats (even though we don't have the cat anymore, he got really sick and we had to let him go). My parents have 16year old dachsie and a 15 year old cat. Here's a pic of them. They're best friends really. :)

HilyBee

We have had two dachshunds with our current kitty. They have ALWAYS gotten along very very well. They are inseparable! Cazic (the red and brown LH) was her first doxie friend. When he passed away this year she morned his loss just as much as we did. She was so upset that she never left our sides and was always looking for him when we came back into the house each time. When we came home with her second doxie friend, Yosuke (cream LH) she was very excited. She loved him after only one night. Both of the boys love her just as much, if not more. I think if you get a cat with the right temperament you can create just as strong of a bond between cat/dog as you can with dog/dog or cat/cat. We did adopt our cat too by the way. She was over a year old when we got her and we had no idea if she would like dogs when we got her. We took a chance. I recommend adopting a kitty that either likes other pets or take your dog with you before you adopt the cat. See how the initial reaction goes. There will be hissing and of course lots of sniffing. Just make sure to positively reinforce the situation and all will be good in pet-world.

Attachments

HilyBee

That was my theory on the matter too. I've come to see that most dogs and cats that get along were raised together from babies. We plan on having her for a few months before we get a kitten, so my only concern was territorial issues. But I think they will be fine.
When we got our kitty (Sera), Caz (our doxie) was already two years old and the cat was one. They were still young, but not babies. They were both set in their ways for sure. lol After Caz died and we decided to get another dachshund, our cat is now going on four and our puppy is only four months old. :) I think as long as you supervise their interactions at first it works out really well. We didn't have any problems with Caz and Sera (our cat) when they first met. It was more of an adjustment for us then them. :D