Barking girl!

athompson702

I love taking Sissy for a walk, except for one thing. She barks at everyone! I feel terrible when she barks at people while I'm walking her. At the park she does fine, she doesn't really bark, but just on a normal walk around the neighborhood she starts barking, then it gets hard to control her and get her attention once she starts. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

amparra

I taught "quiet" early on. The first couple times, I gently grabbed her muzzle and gave a sharp "no, quiet!" Didn't take long for her to learn what that meant and now I only use the command, I sometimes reward with a treat if I have one on me. I did this on walks and anywhere that barking is inappropriate. Its fine if Lily barks when she hears the door or when she is playing but barking incessantly at every noise is annoying. Doxies are loud breed but they can definitely be taught when to be quiet!

athompson702

She's 5 years old, and we are thinking her previous owners didn't take her on a walk much, they mostly just let her out in the backyard. Thank you very much! I will give that a try. :) Hopefully soon her and I will both enjoy walks!

sherlock

How well is she socialized? That might be part of the issue...she just doesn't know enough people. We started with Watson as soon as we brought him home (it was easy since we live in an apartment and have lots of neighbors.) Now he's super social and wants to meet everyone he sees.

Going to a dog park can help, if you have one near you. That way she can meet lots of people AND dogs.

athompson702

Well, she was first with a trucker, so she was on the road a lot. Then his parents took her in and she was in a house. But they really didn't walk her, just let her outside in the yard. She doesn't bark at people the whole walk, once she's out a little while, she does just fine. She goes up to people wanting some loves lol. But we found out that she growls and barks at other dogs. Our apartment is dog friendly so there are a lot of dogs and whenever she sees one she starts growling and barking. She's not spayed, when we got her she was in heat. We do plan to spay her after her heat cycle so hopefully that settles her down a little bit. I know it won't totally fix it but it might make it easier to get her more socialized with other dogs. Some friends have dogs and we want to all hang out with them and not have to worry about what she is going to do.

vizzla

Ive went to a course in doggy-"telling". It is so easy to do! 4 simpel steps!

1. Look at your dog at walks, reward the dog as it takes A FIRST sight at a person/dog. Push a treat in her mouth. Reward and reward every time she looks at a person/dog.

When she gets this step - LOOKING at a person = treat. go to step 2.

2. Wait with the treat so - LOOKING at a person/dog - wondering where is my candy - and the dog is looking at you REWARD big time!!! When the dog has got this stept - LOOKING at something - turning to you - TREAT go to step 3.

3. LOOKING at person/dog - looking at you - taking one step towards you. This you can lure when she is looking you just take one step back so she has to go to you. REWARD.

4. When the dog has got all these steps the dog will now "tell" you when something or someone is near by comming to you. REWARD ALWAYS and go back to step one and two sometimes. NOW the dog will do this off leach and from a distance if you did the three first steps right. Keep rewarding untill you have pass the person. Ive got some hard to chew treats so he has to chew all eay pass the person/dog. And his is no longer barking!!!

IT IS WORKING PERFECT.

Good luck!

It can take time but just keep up and you will get there!!

athompson702

Thank you, Vizzla! I will definitely have to try that! She is very food motivated so this will be less stressful to get her to stop then just walking the other way.

vizzla

Just remember to not give up. It has taken 2-3 months for your boy to get it but now he is no longer scared but happy to see dogs cause that means TREATS! :) So keep working and soon everyone will wonder what you ve done to your dog :) It feels so good to have a dog-meating end well and not be ashamed because of how they act :) Good luck and keep us updated.