Anxiety

Doximom

I am in desperate need of anyone's help/advice on my Doxie's anxiety. She is currently 7 years old and for the past few years has developed severe anxiety. She shakes all the time for no apparent reason and seems scared. Extremely afraid of loud noises, thunderstorms, even if it rains very hard. It has gotten to the point where I have to sedate her for storms. I have tried a variety off different anti-anxiety medications and the thundershirt. I try and take her with me wherever I go to see if that would help but to no avail. When she is at home, she is with my 2 other dachshunds. I have recently just started her on Fluoxetine in the hope that will help her. It has not been long enough yet to see if this will work for her. But I was looking for anyone who has had similar situation or just any advice for me regarding the situation. Thank you.

jax's_mommy

I used to have a leonberger (big 60-80+lb dog) that had sever separation anxiety. He has dug under a sink, knocked over and broken a tv, pulled down curtains and tearing up blinds trying to get out the window, all this along with barking, whining and howling.

What we did for him, was turn on a tv (after we got a new one) and/or radio. It seemed to help calm him. Another thing we did, was stop making a fuss over him when we came back home. We just ignored him till he settled back down. After a month or 2 (takes time and patience) he finally got to were he wouldn't care if we left, and was a good dog while we were gone.

Doximom

Thanks for your advice! Her anxiety is all the time though, not seperation anxiety. I have made a habit of leaving the tv on whenver I leave that I have done her whole life, just for some background noise for them.

jax's_mommy

your welcome!

From what I've heard (not sure if true, have yet to test it), when you give attention to a dog when they're doing something you don't want, they learn it's an acceptable behavior and will try to do it again, and again to see if it works again. Ignore them. They will soon get that when they do whatever that thing is, they are not getting the attention, rather its negative or positive attention. (not saying you do this :) )

When she has her next anxiety episode, just let her be. Continue on what your doing. At that moment, just pretend she doesn't exist. Unless, she is causing herself to get hurt, then go help :)

Doximom

Oh I don't pay her any attention anymore, it happens so often. She usually doesn't want anything to do with me anyway. She'd prefer to sit in a corner and shake by herself