Wont "go" in the rain

GJBain

Our 4-1/2 month old Dachshund Brandy will not go pee outside if it is raining. Let me first say that other then in the rain she has been very good with outside potty training. All winter in the freezing cold and snow no problem (She is Canadian, came from Quebec City, we joke as to why she likes the snow). But when it is raining she will not go pee at all. Last night it was raining and again she would not go pee in the rain. I did get here to poop though. Had her out there for 15-20 minutes. Even walked out to the end of the driveway, about 100 yards, to get the mail. She pooped on the way out but would not pee. She was taken out 2 more times in the rain last night and would not go. Peed on the kitchen tile shortly after coming in. Even using an umbrella does not help. This is like the 3rd time now in the rain being we are just coming out of winter time here in N. Y. that she will not go. And she does not like to step off the paved driveway in the rain into the muddy grass either. I am starting to think she is too much of a prissy dog!!! :mad: Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

crystalclear1027

Our male won't pee outside in the rain either. We figured it out, he doesn't like getting his feet wet or muddy at all. He stands there and wants to be picked up and carried in the house. We wait in the middle of the yard, regardless how long it takes for him to go both ways. It has been working out pretty well along with his favorite treat.

GJBain

Only one reply? Anyne else have a Dachshund that does not like to go out it the rain??? Any advice?

Nell

Hi, I think its probably a common problem for many dachshunds. Mine are OK in the rain but I walk my dogs everyday regardless of the weather and they have had to get used to it!

I do help them out a bit by making sure they have weather proof coats on in the rain and this has seemed to help. If I were you I would do the same and take her for a loooong walk in the rain, nature will then take over and she will have to go eventually. You can them make a very big fuss, pick her up, wrap her in a towel and head home! she will soon learn the way to get out of the rain is to pee!!! good luck.

GJBain

My last Dachshund of 17 plus years that we lost in June of 2013 went out in the rain no problem. She was much harder to house train. This one has been easier to house train but will not go in the rain. We too walk our Dachshunds on a leash every day. No going inside on pads here.

Never really thought of the waterproof coat idea. Going to look into that. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

GJBain

Today raining here again. Did not go for me in the rain. My sister said she went for her today in the morning. Not sure if it was raining then but it was wet out. Normally she will not go when it is wet out. Does not like the wet on her feet.

Nell

At least she went! wooohooo!!!

What about boots? I know some people use them in the snow?

lucerogina

My Elliott will not go in the rain either. He flat out refuses unless he just can't hold it any longer. Stubborn little things aren't they!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

GJBain

GOOD NEWS....Made good headway with going in the rain this weekend FINALLY! Brandy really has never seen warm weather since she was born. Came from Canada to here in New York where it has been nothing but snow. She has never known rain and warmer weather. It has been in the upper 40's and raining on and off all weekend. She has been out many times this weekend and peed and pooped in the rain. I think she has finally figured it out.