Why are Dachshunds considered dangerous?

This makes absolutely no sense to me because I have never crossed paths with a "dangerous" Dachshund... this is a bunch of BS in my opinion. My Dachshund is the most loyal, loving dog I have ever had!

I had not really heard that they are "dangerous." But I do know that some can get a reputation for being "mean" when older or if not socialized.

I think "Loyal" is part of the bad rap. My dachsies will bark at people and other dogs when we go for walks. They are a lot better after a lot of walks and shushing on our part. But if they are allowed to remain unsocialized they will bark. PD our sweetest, most lovable dachie still can not be trusted around little kids. He does pretty well with our granddaughters, but will snap at them if they move in too suddenly.

Penny

Yes, 'inclined to bite'. We have a group that gets together and there's always a doxie that shows some teeth. I think the smooths are more inclined than the long hairs. Part of the problem is that we have winter for 6 months so there's no outside time at the park and when the weather is warm, people are busy and not really socializing their dogs. It's such a short window of warm weather anyway you have to start over from scratch the next time summer comes around. The other contributor to this problem is that doxies are so dang cute! People see them and immediately invade their space and behave in a way that they never would do with a big dog. I've had ladies grab my dog by the ears and kiss them. Hello! They would never do that to a rottweiler.

There was a family in our neighborhood, with a couple of kids and a red smooth girl. They brought her everywhere, including the kids baseball and soccer games, and everyone loved having the little red girl attend and she seemed to be fine with it. One summer when she was 5, she decided to be 'grumpy' and didn't enjoy all the people attention anymore, so much so that the family made the decision to leave her at home. I've heard other people say that too, somewhere around 5, they don't 'put up with that anymore'. Maybe snoozing in a blanket suits them better and being loved by trusted family members is preferred. Strangers, not so much.

Last edited:

amparra

I think they are actually one of the breeds that bites people the most. Many of them, although very sweet, are leash reactive especially from a distance. I usually stay clear of dachshunds that I encounter in my neighborhood if they are barking their heads off.

Unfortunately the owners are often the problem, by petting and attempting to calm your them, telling them "its ok, its ok," etc while they are exhibiting those protective behaviors actually reinforces the behavior and makes it worse.

Penny

I think they are actually one of the breeds that bites people the most. Many of them, although very sweet, are leash reactive especially from a distance. I usually stay clear of dachshunds that I encounter in my neighborhood if they are barking their heads off.

Unfortunately the owners are often the problem, by petting and attempting to calm your them, telling them "its ok, its ok," etc while they are exhibiting those protective behaviors actually reinforces the behavior and makes it worse.
My mother-in-law did this all the time with her chihuahua and he bit everybody. The more he barked and snarled, the more she stroked him and talked nicely. How frustrating!

sbarne3

I agree... many of us (myself included) have been guilty of inducing Small Dog Syndrome on our doxies.
We have been able to reduce many of these problems in our 13 year-old male (Max) just by following the principles from Cesar Millan's "Mastering Leadership" series.
I know that Cesar is sometimes a controversial figure in dog circles, but most everyone can agree that his basic principles are sound.
Just learning to walk our dog the right way made a huge difference in his behavior in less than one week! We even walked within four feet of a pit bull the other day and Max just ignored him. Our calmness even calmed the pit bull down... it was amazing! Previously Max would lunge at anything that moved no matter how big it was.
I disagree with people who say that dachshunds are "mean" or "inclined to bite"
I think that dachshunds have many of the characteristics of some of the more powerful breeds... they are just very compact! :D
But we treat them like "little dogs" and let them run all over us and then seem surprised when they act dominant/aggressive

Last edited:

Inkeri

People also tend to forget that dachsies are actually hunting dogs and not lapdogs. That's why they're quick to react and may bite.

Penny

Previously Max would lunge at anything that moved no matter how big it was.
I think that dachshunds have many of the characteristics of some of the more powerful breeds... they are just very compact! :D
But we treat them like "little dogs" and let them run all over us and then seem surprised when they act dominant/aggressive
You are saying on one hand that Max would lunge at anything that moved no matter how big it was, and then say you disagree with people who say that dachshunds are mean or inclined to bit. If they saw Max lunging and going after anything, this is the impression they give. lol

sbarne3

You are saying on one hand that Max would lunge at anything that moved no matter how big it was, and then say you disagree with people who say that dachshunds are mean or inclined to bit. If they saw Max lunging and going after anything, this is the impression they give. lol
If you look at my entire post instead of just part of it you will see that I was making the point the problem is the owners and not the breed. It is very similar to the misconception that pit bulls are by nature aggressive and dangerous. CAN they be aggressive and dangerous? ABSOLUTELY! They are a powerful breed, but the problem isn't the breed. It's too many people adopting pit bulls that haven't the slightest idea how to raise any dog, much less a powerful breed like the pit bull.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I have met more than a dozen nasty Doxies... mine aren't but if I could have let them get that way... I've met at least double than that that are great dogs too :)

amparra

I agree... many of us (myself included) have been guilty of inducing Small Dog Syndrome on our doxies.
We have been able to reduce many of these problems in our 13 year-old male (Max) just by following the principles from Cesar Millan's "Mastering Leadership" series.
I know that Cesar is sometimes a controversial figure in dog circles, but most everyone can agree that his basic principles are sound.
Just learning to walk our dog the right way made a huge difference in his behavior in less than one week! We even walked within four feet of a pit bull the other day and Max just ignored him. Our calmness even calmed the pit bull down... it was amazing! Previously Max would lunge at anything that moved no matter how big it was.
We've actually only had big dogs (labs). Lily is our first small dog.

We have made it a point since we got her to treat her, within reason, the same as our big dog. As we have learned, there are times when the little one has to be carried so she won't get crushed but in general the expectations are the same for both dogs. Both dogs are expected to sit before eating, not bark excessively, not jump on people, not pull on leash. Lily is technically allowed on the couch and Daisy isn't but both are allowed on the bed. Then again, Daisy is allowed off leash and Lily isn't so there are perks to both sizes.

I think its important to not make excuses for them because they are small. They are very clever and i think i think its that cleverness that makes it so easy for them to manipulate us! lol

HilyBee

I was actually attacked as a child by three black and tan short hair doxies. I disliked the breed for years until I realized not all of them are mean. They have a tendency to be possessive of their owners and area. Since I was little I have yet to meet another mean one, so I think it is less common now. I also think it has everything to do with how they are raised/trained. The three that attacked me were protecting their babies - we lived next to a small breeder. The only other semi-mean (and I would say more scared) doxie I have ever met was abused (met him at a shelter).

vizzla

Its when owners who gets a dog and not knowing enough about the breed that it becomes a problem. You need to know that the dachshund is a hunting dog, that means that they have quick reflexes and "bite first ask questions later". The can bite for instanse a child that surprises them.

So there are accidents where the dog just goes to natural behaviour but it hurts someone. Ive also heard that dachshunds are unrelieble because of biting. So not true! They are loving family members and go well with kids. BUT you need to watch out so there are no accidents..
I just love them and their behaviour. Cant see myself with any other breed :)