What trix can your dogs do?

Inkeri

Manu loves cheese and sausage and dog treats and.... basically everything else but his regular food. We call him anorectic because he has issues with eating. ;)
The best treat for him are chicken meatballs. I think they smell awfull but he loves them! But i only use them for special occasions like obedience school. :)

vizzla

Its the same way with Alf. I thought every dog loved food but not Alf. He eats because he has to not because he loves food. But we have some treats that he likes.

vizzla

Video

Here is an video of Alf doing his trix. He is a bit slow today, not as quick as he usually is :)

What do you think?

Its our first video ever. It took some time for me to learn how to do a video ;)

Youtube of Alf

Inkeri

Alf is so cute!! :) There's some tricks that Manu can do also. We've thought about making a video like that also. Maybe someday... :)

vizzla

Yes you should make a video. It was fun :) I like to se Manu do his tricks :) Or something else aswell.

Inkeri

Haha! Manu just had one of those days today... :D No interest what so ever to do tricks. ;) They're so cute when they lay on their back and do that thing with their front paws. Awww... :)

Ilovemylily

Seeing all this videos and comments makes me all excited to train my pup to do tricks!!!! Good job to all of ya!!!!! Now my question is\ what's the appropriate age for them to start training my little one is 8 weeks!

crystall80

My girls can sit, speak and lay down. That is it, they are so stubborn! been trying several more tricks but they aren't interested in learning them!

vizzla

First 6-12 months you should settle for sit, lay down, stay, stop. Thats lifesaving commands so make sure that the dog knows them well and in different settings, with all sorts of disturbance.

Then you can start learning tricks for fun :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Everything you teach a dog should be thought of as tricks, imo. Why is sit any different from Shake a paw? or down different from Crawl? it's all tricks. And if you treat obedience training as if you're teaching tricks, you and your dog will have alot more fun.

You can start teaching puppies of any age tricks, you just need to have shorter sessions

This is Vito, a 9 week old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWiU169_bc]Vito the toller tricks at 9wks - YouTube[/ame]

Vito at 10 weeks
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfqYCx2WmcQ&feature=related]Vito the toller tricks at 10wks - YouTube[/ame]

Vito at 13 weeks
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_R69tXb6I0&feature=related]Vito the toller tricks at 13wks - YouTube[/ame]

Inkeri

Yep, you can start teaching tricks at any age, the younger the better. :) I've noticed that everything Manu has learnt before he was 6months old, he knows best. We even went to puppy-school when he was 4,5months. Of course you have to remember to keep the learning periods very short with a small puppy. And you can teach while playing! :)