Walking my puppy

hitman_arya

I have recently started walking my 6 month old puppy since its warm now. He keeps going around me while were walking or he is trying to run constantly. He is barking at every human and dog or anything that moves. Does this stop as he grows older or is this something I need to address now?

CaseyKC

I would definitely start working on walking manners now. The SPCA offers a puppy course for a very reasonable fee. If you don't have one near you, try walking short distances in your house or driveway. The leash should form the letter J . Reward with a high value treat ( penny size slices of hot dog or cheese) when he doesn't pull, or lag behind. Let him smell occasionally. Make it a fun activity. Don't scold or yank the leash if he is pulling or lagging behind, just stop walking and when you have his attention, then say something like "with me" and start walking again.
Repeat until you can reward him with a tidbit of treat. Praise to the skies when he goes four or five feet correctly. Continue in this manner. When he is doing well walking, have a friend or family member come so that he gets used to other people around, once he is used to people, include another dog. One distraction at a time and gradually add others to build on it. Good luck!