Tough Spot

babysis

Hi everyone...been a while since I have been on here. And I need to vent a little bit.

I wish I had better news to report but my girl Baby towards her final stages of life. She is now fully blind and deaf. She won't eat much anymore and refuses her dog food (Which was science diet ID - I don't blame her on that!). I give her boiled chicken, carrots, and peas now. She is at least holding that down but refuses it most of the time. But she is also puky in the morning. Afternoons, not so much. Her body is just shutting down and saying no more. We try to give her medicine but she won't take it and we have tried everything to get her to take it. At 13 years old (almost 14) is old for a dachshund especially one who has allergic reactions to just about everything, beat Mast Cell Cancer, and parvo. My vet said there is nothing that can be done and just let her live out her final days comfortably. They might give her an I.V. to keep her hydrated but that's it. She's alert but not like she used to be, no pain from what I can tell. She is still moving around, eating (when she feels like it), doing her "business" outside as normal. I noticed her eyes have changed which is sad. She still gives kisses, loves to be held, and cuddles.

It's hard because she was my late Grandmother's pride and joy and I lost my grandmother in a horrific car accident in 2008. So it's very tough for me.

Thanks for letting me vent.... ;)

Penny

I really know where you are coming from. We were good friends with Beau and Engli's breeder and had many a happy visit bringing the dogs to see her. We lost her to cancer not long ago and I think of her often and miss her. Engli is 14 and Beau just turned 12, and I hate to think of the day that she takes them back to live with her at rainbow bridge. Maybe the thought will be consoling one day but it just isn't right now. What can you do but love her up and tell how how much you loved having her with you, and what a very special girl she is. My heart goes out to you.

babysis

Thank you for the kind words Penny. It's still very tough for me and she is still here. I just know when it is her time that my Grandmother will wait to take her Baby Girl with her at the rainbow bridge. I hold her and tell her that I love her no matter what and that this will always be her home. I know she knows what I am saying because she will lean into me hard. It's about all I can do.

JPsMOM

I have never lost a furbaby, but I have lost a child, and I can imagine its pretty similar-my heart aches for you, and I hope her passing is peaceful and your time together is as beautiful as it can possibly be...virtual hugs your way!!

Sent via tapatalk

crystalclear1027

Same here, sending lots of hugs your way, I will be thinking of you and her, it is just like a child because they are a big part of your life everyday.

ZAZusmc03

Tucker's Daddio
This had me very teary eyed just reading it. Sending the best your way. Enjoy your time with your sweet pup as much as possible and know she appreciates every moment you spend with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nell

I am so sorry to hear this. It is so hard to loose a much loved pet, be glad you had her and get as many cuddles in as you can. She has been well loved and cared for so try to remember the happy days you have had together, best wishes, you are both in my thoughts x

babysis

Thanks everyone, it's much appreciated. I'll do my best to keep everyone posted.
I can't be with her at the moment because of work, but she is in the hands of my parents...which is her mamma and daddy. So I know she is safe with them.

JPsMom- Losing a child is awful and I thank you for sharing that information with me. I admire you for sharing it.

All I can do is remember the good times with her and give her cuddle time. Which I have plenty of good times. <3
Thanks again.

CaseyKC

My most profound empathy for you during this time. I have been where you are and it is the most difficult time ever. You and Baby will be in my thoughts.

GJBain

I have owned 2 Dachshunds in my life. Both red smooth hair females. One a standard and one a miniature. The first one, the standard, I had as a kid. She lived to be 14-1/2 years old. I was 21 when she died in 1985 and never wanted another one because I wanted to remember her forever. 11 years later I caved and bought the 2nd one, the miniature, in 1996. Even named her the same thing - Samantha (Sam). She lived 17 years and 3 weeks. Her last day was Monday 6/3/13. We had to put her down. She was deaf for a few years, 90% blind and just could not walk anymore without falling over. I held her for hours before she was to be taken in and she fell asleep in my arms while holding her. Then my wife came and got her and took her in. Boy do I miss her. It is just too hard when it is time to let them go. All I can say is hold on to her and enjoy her for every last day. I never thought I would get another one but I now have my 3rd Dachshund. A standard smooth hair that is mahogany in color. Her name is Brandy. She is 5 and a half months old now.

Last edited:

babysis

Thanks everyone for everything. She is still around but barely. So far from what I can tell is that she is not in any pain. Of anything she is mostly sleeping and prefers to cuddle with my ma. Vet said it's purely age related, no infections, and no illnesses, just her body closing up. I had her on baby food but now she is refusing it. It's still hard and I have been shedding a lot of tears. (I still am as I write this). We want her to go peacefully in her home and try to not have her in the vet but we know that if it gets to bad, we will take her in. <3

meyou&ru

I'm so sorry to hear of this.. Losing a pet is losing a member of the family. They bring us so much joy and can always make you feel better. Just think of the good memories you have had with her and shed some happy tears. I'm sure she happy to have such a wonderful family that loves and cares for her so much. Show her all the love and affection you can and know that she loves & cares for you just as much! Much love & prayers
Bria&Ru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babysis

Thanks Bria&Ru,

It was a simple decision but it was hard when we put her down a few weeks ago. She was just done with her life. She had plenty of love and affection and I know I will see her again someday!