The whiny wiener

Melissacalypso

My mini dachshund Blaze won't stop whining whenever I leave, don't give him enough attention, or he's anxious and it bothers my roommate and distracts me from doing homework when he wants something from me. How do get my dog off this whining habit??!!!

WinKat

UGH good question! My mini-Dachshund does it too, though only occasionally. I think his has a lot to do with the neighbor dogs going into heat, but I would still love to know how to fix the whining issue. It drives me crazy!!!

Hunter's Parade

ACTIVITIES! People,they need something to do!They whine,chew on inappropriate things because they are bored and they have too much energy.They are hunting dogs!They were bred for working for many hours nonstop. Siting in four walls is boring for them. Take them outside,play fetch,go to the park,forest,lake,play tug of war for AT LEAST 1,5 hours (more would be better) a day and they won't whine while you are doing your stuff,they will be tired and sleeping. I don't have problems like these. If any of my 4 dogs starts whining I know it's time to go for a walk,or if the weather is not so good play fetch and tug of war inside,do some training,teach some new tricks. And after that they sleep calmly.

vizzla

First you need to let the dog have a task to do. Activate them mentaly before training any alone time.
Then you make the dog feel safe where they are supposed to be alone. Put a t-shirt of yours in the dog bed. Something to make them feel safe.
Then you leave the room for 4 sec. Then returns. Next day you leave for 5 sec. Untill the dog knows you are comming back. This may take a while but the more work and time you invest, the better result.

Good luck!

Dachshund are very people dogs, they dont like to be alone. But if they are saticfied and had some mentaly challanges they can be traind to be alone. Never leave a dog alone for more than 4 hours at the time.