Strange Behaviour

vous2

Hi guys. I am new to this group. We have 2 doxies in our home. Rollie has been with us for a year and he is almost 7. He is the cuddliest, goofiest little guy. Lately when we come home he happily greets us but growls when we pick him up. He has gone so far as to snarl and snap. This is very unusual for him. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

CaseyKC

Hi guys. I am new to this group. We have 2 doxies in our home. Rollie has been with us for a year and he is almost 7. He is the cuddliest, goofiest little guy. Lately when we come home he happily greets us but growls when we pick him up. He has gone so far as to snarl and snap. This is very unusual for him. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Do you think he could have a sore spot that might cause him pain when you pick him up? Is his walking normal? I think I would watch him for awhile to see if he is walking and otherwise moving about normally, or he might have an infection in some area that you may be touching when you pick him up. Is it possible that he may have had an altercation with your other dachshund while you were away and may have an abscess? I would watch him for awhile to see if he is in pain somewhere, and if it is his back, or a bad infection, take him to your veterinarian. Let us know what happens after you observe him.